90's/00's pirate (internet radio) station Old Street Shoreditch (under the railway bridge)

Discuss & sharing nostalgia relating from the pirate stations of the 60s up to modern day inactive stations.
Travis
ne guy
ne guy

90's/00's pirate (internet radio) station Old Street Shoreditch (under the railway bridge)

Post by Travis » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:49 pm

Hi all,

I recently started working at the railway arch venue Kachette located at 347 Old St Shoreditch (under the Old St railway bridge before Shoreditch High St). The building used to be the ticket hall of Shoreditch Station until 1940 then was unused for years until it was set up as Kachette in 2013. More importantly, I was told that there was a pirate / internet radio station operating out of the disused venue for a few years in the 90's / 00's. Anyone on here know about this ? I was told it was an internet radio rather than an FM pirate station but would love to find out more if anyone on here was involved. Hit me up please [email protected]

Sparki
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Re: 90's/00's pirate (internet radio) station Old Street Shoreditch (under the railway bridge)

Post by Sparki » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:50 pm

Travis wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:49 pm Hi all,

I recently started working at the railway arch venue Kachette located at 347 Old St Shoreditch (under the Old St railway bridge before Shoreditch High St). The building used to be the ticket hall of Shoreditch Station until 1940 then was unused for years until it was set up as Kachette in 2013. More importantly, I was told that there was a pirate / internet radio station operating out of the disused venue for a few years in the 90's / 00's. Anyone on here know about this ? I was told it was an internet radio rather than an FM pirate station but would love to find out more if anyone on here was involved. Hit me up please [email protected]
Sorry for late reply just logged in after not being on for ages, back then there was very little on the internet station wise but I do remember hearing there was a station in late 90s that became the first ever (or first ever dance station) to go on the internet the name unf escapes me but did have some big names that went on to become something in the scene after.

Also could it have been Phat Beats? they were around in the 00s but I think they came from lots of porta cabins didnt they? perhaps they used this place you speak of before.

OverTheHill
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Re: 90's/00's pirate (internet radio) station Old Street Shoreditch (under the railway bridge)

Post by OverTheHill » Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:37 pm

Bored at work and decided to browse old threads. I can tell you for absolute certainty it wasn't Phatbeats. Phatbeats was in an industrial estate in Enfield and built studios within a rented unit. Later on it moved to tottenham hale. Everyone involved in setting up Phatbeats was from enfield/edmonton/tottenham.

Sparki
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by Sparki » Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:38 pm

OverTheHill wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:37 pm Bored at work and decided to browse old threads. I can tell you for absolute certainty it wasn't Phatbeats. Phatbeats was in an industrial estate in Enfield and built studios within a rented unit. Later on it moved to tottenham hale. Everyone involved in setting up Phatbeats was from enfield/edmonton/tottenham.
Ah ok, yeah it was a wild stab in the dark with this one. I was in Shoreditch over the first May bank holiday weekend playing for Shine at Rolling Stock. I'm down to be playing up that way again in early August so will have to have a nose around and maybe ask a few people what the station was, if I'm right it might have been InterFace? ran by Chillum? Chillin?

OverTheHill
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by OverTheHill » Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:05 pm

Interface rings a bell. There was a few before Phatbeats that were exclusively internet but (not to be biased) Phatbeats took it to another level. The full video and audio stream, multi studios etc... no one was as good as us back 07-09. Just a shame it was a bit ahead of its time.

Sparki
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by Sparki » Sun Jun 11, 2023 7:22 pm

OverTheHill wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:05 pm Interface rings a bell. There was a few before Phatbeats that were exclusively internet but (not to be biased) Phatbeats took it to another level. The full video and audio stream, multi studios etc... no one was as good as us back 07-09. Just a shame it was a bit ahead of its time.
A friend of mine Mixman who runs Happy Nation did video and audio with his net station and I think that was early 00s, he knows coding very well so was up there with some of the very early ones but wasnt recognised I dont think. He had his brand at the time doing happy hardcore events all over London and Kent in the 00s it was mostly the ravers that locked in. But Interface deffo was the first one very late 90s and PhatBeats took it all to a much better level.

Mr.S
ne guy
ne guy

Post by Mr.S » Fri Jun 30, 2023 1:50 pm

Interface was started by Mad Ash who used to run Face fm 90.4. I met him once on a lads holiday to Kos in late 90's, nice fella.
https://www.independent.co.uk/life-styl ... 48921.html