A Nostalgia Video

Discuss & sharing nostalgia relating from the pirate stations of the 60s up to modern day inactive stations.
ddgx
ne guy
ne guy

A Nostalgia Video

Post by ddgx » Sat May 18, 2019 2:21 pm

Howdy!

Now, I know for the large part the forum is relatively quiet nowadays. I'm hoping this might bring a few of you out of the woodwork; some community input!

I've dabbled with the idea of making a little trip down memory lane type video about Pirates in Essex. There is quite a lot written and shot about London Pirates but I think Essex has it's own interesting, parallel history too. Trouble is, my memory isn't what it used to be and after the death of sites like Y2K pirates, the first incarnation of Radionecks etc the pool of textbooks is far smaller than it once was! Not just that but I wasn't exposed myself to Pirate Radio until around 98/99 and so my knowledge before then is more limited. So I'm hoping you might help me out with questions as and when they arrive in my head? So some initial queries for you;

- What would you consider the first pirate/pirates broadcasting properly from Essex? My personal golden era was Klass/Charge/Cyndicut but obviously I know there to have been pirates before them but again, my knowledge is limited.
- Geographically/in your head where do you draw the line as far as a pirate being 'Essex based'? Personally as an example, I always felt that Force was a sort of Essex pirate of sorts even though it was based in East London; but maybe I'm wrong? Or another interesting debate, someone like 'Soundz' was very audible in Essex but I always understood they broadcast from Kent?
- Are there any stations at all from Essex right now? :-(
- Does anyone know of / have an archive of Y2kpirates, or the first radionecks site? (Forgive me if that is instigating trouble or going over old ground - that isn't my intention!)
- Do you remember any infamous news articles about Essex Pirates, any links?
- Which stations in your opinion would deserve a mention, and why?
- Was it really a 'London ting' or did Essex Pirate's have a wider influence on music, society? Documented or anecdotal evidence of people or stations that wen't on to influence? (I am thinking that Funky SX is perhaps an indicator that there was always a 'demand' for what Pirates stood for).

I have my own ideas and perceptions on the above but I don't want to put too much of it forward to avoid influencing your own opinions, memories and ideas. If you do have any good links to sites that have records of band scans, history, chatter that are still relevant or pertinent then feel free to let me know. I've been very much out of the loop for a number of years but dabbled a bit years back. I'm just me and this is a solo effort - I'm not a news organisation or anything just to be clear.

Anyway, hopefully look forward to some debate and reminiscing!