Shortwave transmitters

Everything technical about radio can be discussed here, whether it's transmitting or receiving. Guides, charts, diagrams, etc. are all welcome.
BlackBeard
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Shortwave transmitters

Post by BlackBeard » Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:58 pm

I'm wondering how much power would be needed to broadcast from middle Europe to the Balkans (shortwave 30 or 40m band). There are a lot of chinese transmitter kits online with 1 - 5w output power. Are they any good and are there serious risks of interfering with emergency bands etc.? I'm not experienced in building RF equipment at all. Any recommendations concerning a good rig?

radio pamela
ne guy
ne guy

Re: Shortwave transmitters

Post by radio pamela » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:29 pm

Maybe more than 5 watts 10 to 15 watts would be better to get a good signal out using a Dipole cut to your frequency you want to use, i use home built 2 valve (tubes) transmitter using transistor audio modulation pushing out 16 watts RF.

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:01 pm

How far do you want to go? "Middle Europe to the Balkans" is quite a distance. You need to consider "skip" distances. You're NOT going to transmit into your projected area directly on groundwave, unless you use lower frequencies, bigger aerials and lots of power!

If you get a competently made transmitter and pick sensible frequencies, you won't cause interference.

Here's a simple (and quite cheap) transmitter to get you started:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SHORTWAVE-PI ... 2604604727

I've seen these used, and they work well.

You'll need a good antenna to get significant coverage. Remember - you may not be able to receive it 5km from the transmitter site, but people will be able to receive it hundreds of kilometres away!
"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)

BlackBeard
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by BlackBeard » Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:46 pm

Albert H wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:01 pm How far do you want to go? "Middle Europe to the Balkans" is quite a distance. You need to consider "skip" distances. You're NOT going to transmit into your projected area directly on groundwave, unless you use lower frequencies, bigger aerials and lots of power!
The distance is about 1030km. Of course I want to reach that area by skywave.
Just as a theoretical question - would it also be possible to build a solid transmitter at home and is the risk of causing interference lower / is it easier to build a good SW transmitter than a VHF/FM transmitter? And would you recommend this?

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:59 am

Short wave transmitters are (usually) easier and less critical to build than VHF ones.
"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)