Outdoor enclosures

Everything technical about radio can be discussed here, whether it's transmitting or receiving. Guides, charts, diagrams, etc. are all welcome.
alfaeire
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Outdoor enclosures

Post by alfaeire » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:59 pm

Howdy guys, changing my tx location in Ireland. But it looks like I'm going to have to put it on the roof of a building, usually I would have it tucked away inside.

Power won't be a problem, I'm looking at enclosures to house the tx. Asking opinions and basically opening a discussion regarding ventilation, types of enclosures, what to use and what not to.. Any troubles people have run into with moisture etc.

It's gunna be on 24/7 and in the Irish elements.

mike123
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Re: Outdoor enclosures

Post by mike123 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:20 pm

This has been used a lot in The Netherlands as a proven concept ;)
And it's cheap!

alfaeire
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by alfaeire » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:20 pm

Hahah nice. I'm actually in Enschede right now. Was Squatting in Amsterdam a few years back and patapo had their repeater on the roof of our squat.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

yellowbeard
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by yellowbeard » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:33 pm

You are going to struggle keeping the damp out of the electronics, anything cold in the box steam up like a mirror in the bathroom - best o luck! Argos have a heavy duty plastic storage box for under €15, its a bit swankier than what mike123 said and its lockable.

Code: Select all

http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10152&catalogId=14551&langId=111&searchTerms=HEAVYDUTY+GARDEN+AND+SHED+STORE+BOX&authToken=
:tup

RF-Head
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by RF-Head » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:20 pm

Lol mike
It's me holding a old laserfm box
in the late 90s we loosing almost every week a rig and this was a cheap way to do :)
Also yes about patapoe rig in Amsterdam it was a 300W rig with a big mast and a 5/8 antenna on top
The building is now gone after a big fire

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:53 pm

We used to use plastic milk crates, with the rig in folded aluminium boxes (the bending bars were a great investment!). The Boxes were sealed with hot-melt glue at the seams to keep the moisture out, and the folds would keep the RF inside. We used to get huge sheets of aluminium for £5 - 8 and make several rig boxes out of each sheet! We also made finned heatsinks with folded aluminium!
"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)

theproducer
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by theproducer » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:06 am

the good old days
Albert

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
theproducer

NTR
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by NTR » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:58 am

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:35 pm

Very nice, but look at the price!
"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)

alfaeire
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Re: RE: Re: Outdoor enclosures

Post by alfaeire » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:39 am

RF-Head wrote:Lol mike
It's me holding a old laserfm box
in the late 90s we loosing almost every week a rig and this was a cheap way to do :)
Also yes about patapoe rig in Amsterdam it was a 300W rig with a big mast and a 5/8 antenna on top
The building is now gone after a big fire
That's right. Someone stabbed outside the night before and the media used it as an angle.. A stabbing the night before and now a fire.. I was there for quite some time and became good friends with flo and some other guys in the house.. When I arrived straight away I asked what's on the roof.
yellowbeard wrote:You are going to struggle keeping the damp out of the electronics, anything cold in the box steam up like a mirror in the bathroom - best o luck! Argos have a heavy duty plastic storage box for under €15, its a bit swankier than what mike123 said and its lockable.

Code: Select all

http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10152&catalogId=14551&langId=111&searchTerms=HEAVYDUTY+GARDEN+AND+SHED+STORE+BOX&authToken=
:tup

alfaeire
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by alfaeire » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:07 am

So I've priced up a few outdoor enclosures, I've already got my tx in a case, so I'm basically just gunna stick it inside it. From there just add vents when the fans will be lining up..

I spotted some of the crates used before, anyone ever have their tx blow due to moisture?