Sinus PSU Prototype

Everything technical about radio can be discussed here, whether it's transmitting or receiving. Guides, charts, diagrams, etc. are all welcome.
sinus trouble
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Sinus PSU Prototype

Post by sinus trouble » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:43 pm

Hello Necks :)
I have another PA and exciter built and ready to go! So I wanted to design a basic linear PSU specifically for its application!
Afterall the PSU is a very important part of any transmitter and this time round, I wanted to go full regulated!
Sinus PSU.PNG
The circuit above uses 3 adjustable independent outputs controlled by LM317s! One to power a fan, One to power the exciter and the last driving two big fets for the PA!
Based on a single sided board and an aluminium plate will be mounted underneath the semiconductors secured with insulators and bolts!
I also added a small transistor for external protection? But haven't decided yet on current or SWR based?
If anyone can see any possible problems? Advice would be much appreciated!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I am as stupid as I look! :|

Analyser
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Re: Sinus PSU Prototype

Post by Analyser » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:37 pm

You need to add some bypass caps around the LM317s or they might go unstable.

sinus trouble
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by sinus trouble » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:17 pm

Cheers Mr Analyser!!
I have added some 0.1uf ceramics to the inputs of each LM317! The datasheet suggests adding caps to adjust and output pins yet optional? Maybe it would be good practice to include these?
Anyways here is the new version!
Sinus PSU Ver2.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:28 pm

Small bypass caps at the inputs and outputs are sensible, and I have had problems with hum modulation on the supply rails if you don't bypass the "adj" pin too!

It would also be sensible to space the '317s further apart, to better distribute the heat across their common heatsink. I'd move your shut down circuit to "below" the '317s, and spread out the regulators. You also need space for local 10 - 47µF caps on the regulator outputs - usually a good idea. Also - filter the common incoming supply: A big smoothing cap locally to the board can't hurt, with some RF filtering on the incoming supply too.
"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)

sinus trouble
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by sinus trouble » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:25 pm

Nice One Mr Albert!
I guess more filtering would be best, Especially in an RF environment!
The protection circuit was a tricky one? As is? It shuts down the gates of the power fets yet could be arranged to pull down the adjust pin to ground??
The PCB as stands is less than 5" in length so extra spacing could make a huge difference? Afterall I know the fets are gonna get very warm! lol
Il have a tinker and see what progress I can make?

sinus trouble
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by sinus trouble » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:04 pm

Hello Again Necks! :)
I have finally built a test prototype and its looking promising!
20170428_200217.png
Without the unit bolted to a suitable heatsink? I cant push it yet!
So far ive managed just under 3amp @ 18volt from the FETS! Warm to the touch but not too bad lol

radio-berlin
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by radio-berlin » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:41 pm

Looks neat, welldone

sinus trouble
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by sinus trouble » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:37 am

Cheers Mr Berlin!
The K2690 datasheet is somewhat ambitious? But only time will tell if it survives! Lol!
More testing to be done!

sinus trouble
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by sinus trouble » Mon May 01, 2017 11:21 pm

Hello Again Necks! :)
I have been doing some further tests and something I did not expect is happening with the FETS?
My first test was with an input of 24v and output set at 10v consuming 3A? Over time, the FETs reached around 80/90 degrees ish?
Second test was again 24v input but output 20v consuming 3A?? Now I assumed that the temperature would rise considerably? Yet this is not the case? Temperature seems to be the same??
My only guess is that there is some relation between the supply voltage and output difference?
Nether the less, its good news so far!

Analyser
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by Analyser » Tue May 02, 2017 9:04 am

Sinus, with all linear voltage regulators the voltage you need to drop is wasted in heat, therefore the more voltage you drop the greater the heat generated.
An example-
In case 1 your output voltage is 10V. Your input voltage is 24V. That means you're dropping 14V in the regulators (FETs). If you multiply this by the current you get watts dissipated in the circuit. In this case 42W.

In case 2 your output voltage is now higher at 20V, meaning you're only dropping 4V from an input of 24V. With another 3A load the total power dissipated is 12W.

So, the 20V output should make the FETs get hot less quickly. This all depends on your heatsink! Try not to run them at 80/90 degrees though, it sounds like you need more cooling.

sinus trouble
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by sinus trouble » Tue May 02, 2017 9:42 pm

Yess Mr Analyser! It all makes sense now! :)
I deffo need a proper heatsink for continuous use! I did have an old fan connected to one of the 317s to blow gently over the board during testing? However this only added more heat emanating from the 317 lol