Folded dipole in France

Everything technical about radio can be discussed here, whether it's transmitting or receiving. Guides, charts, diagrams, etc. are all welcome.
halfwave
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Folded dipole in France

Post by halfwave » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:23 pm

Hi,

I'm currently on holiday in France and was looking at their aerials, as you do when out and about😉

I noticed that the fm rx aerials seen to be a folded dipole which is then bent up and down at opposing ends. See attached photo. It's the aerial just above the satellite dish.
IMG_20170430_105453-01.jpeg
Does anyone know why they are like this? rather than having an folded Omni dipole.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

yellowbeard
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Re: Folded dipole in France

Post by yellowbeard » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:29 pm

That'd be for mixed polarity, a lot of continental big boy broadcasters seem to transmit in either horizontal or vertical but not mixed. This puts the onus on the listener to have a suitable aerial if they want the most available stations.

halfwave
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by halfwave » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:03 pm

Cheers for the info Yellowbeard. That makes sense as to why it's shaped like that then.

Maximus
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by Maximus » Mon May 01, 2017 3:37 am

Yep looks like a mixed polarised Triax or Vision aerial. Definitely not a transmit antenna lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Mon May 01, 2017 5:39 pm

Actually, in concept, it's not too far removed from a turnstile aerial! They're designed for mixed polarisation as well and show a loss in each plane, but the aggregate field strength is the same as a single dipole.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)

nrgkits.nz
Neckmin
Neckmin

Post by nrgkits.nz » Tue May 02, 2017 5:36 am

It looks like a quad port LNB on the dish also. I used to have a large 3.7m aluminium dish here in Auckland, NZ to receive over-spill from the Australian spot beam on Ku band. I used a dual-pol Invacom quad port LNB with scalar ring and it worked quite well, although alignment of the dish and placement of the LNB was quite critical, I managed to get SNR of around 55% on the stronger transponders, others it was down at around 43% just enough to not pixilate. Some of the channels were encrypted with Irdeto1 and the keys common knowledge.

Maximus
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by Maximus » Tue May 02, 2017 8:15 am

That's quite impressive being able to receive the Optus spot beam in NZ. I bet the Irdeto 1 was fun before they switched over to NDS.

People do similar things in Spain to receive the UK spot beams from Astra 28.2e.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nrgkits.nz
Neckmin
Neckmin

Post by nrgkits.nz » Tue May 02, 2017 11:35 am

Yes, Irdeto1 was decommissioned. Now it's all Irdeto2 and NDS. Irdeto2 was more difficult to get working without a legitimate sub card, required hex files programmed onto blank cards the same way you'd program a 16F84 PIC to use with a TSA5511 pll. I used to use ICProg and the hex files could often be found floating around on various forums with the updated keys compiled inside them. The sat receiver I mainly used was the Dreambox for its Linux capabilities and the fact many softcams exist for it. These days it's Netflix for me.

radionortheast
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by radionortheast » Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:37 pm

this aerial has no gain, has minus 3 db figure in the horizontal plane, meant to be mix pol, its alright if you've got nothing else, more likely better used as a recieve aerial, it won't be wide band, problaly sent your signal back down into the tv, also folded dipoles usually have a balun to convert the impredence, theres a good chance it won't handle more than afew watts.

Maximus
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by Maximus » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:03 pm