Can you buy any cheap tv transmitters which can broadcast on UHF around the home?

Everything technical about radio can be discussed here, whether it's transmitting or receiving. Guides, charts, diagrams, etc. are all welcome.
McDonalds
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Can you buy any cheap tv transmitters which can broadcast on UHF around the home?

Post by McDonalds » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:02 pm

There lots of UHF Modulators but need to use something to boast its signal?

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Re: Can you buy any cheap tv transmitters which can broadcast on UHF around the home?

Post by Albert H » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:33 am

Look on line for a "video sender". These were small, low power TV transmitters, usually just a few 10s of milliwatts. The one I had would be receivable two houses away, and came from an electronics flea market in Shenzhen, and cost $7.50.
https://www.dhgate.com/store/product/20 ... 36977.html might do what you want
"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)

McDonalds
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Re: Can you buy any cheap tv transmitters which can broadcast on UHF around the home?

Post by McDonalds » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:52 pm

would this work?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Video-sender/ ... 1438.l2649
there is not much else uk only items I can see.
It says 100 ft which mean it only just get into the garden.
can range be boasted?

shorty
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by shorty » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:59 pm

McDonalds those video senders work well, it will cover your house as long as it's not a mansion, i have one i use to use in the 90's, they have a small trimmer you can change the frequency, it doesn't cover the whole analogue tv band, i think it was down around ch 37 to 42 but don't take that as gospel.

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:53 pm

McDonalds wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:52 pm would this work?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Video-sender/ ... 1438.l2649
there is not much else uk only items I can see.
It says 100 ft which mean it only just get into the garden.
can range be boosted?
No. You can't boost the output of these. However, my experience is that the 100ft / 30m estimate is quite conservative. If you put the transmitter upstairs, you'll get wider coverage. Remember - this is an analogue transmitter and will only work with TVs that have an analogue reception facility.
"Why is my rig humming?"
;)

teckniqs
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by teckniqs » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:36 am

Couldn't you change the piece of wire to a TV yagi aerial though? That should make some difference...

McDonalds
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by McDonalds » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:24 am

I have like over 6 tvs with analogue so that why I want to find a use for them. though they are also digital.

pirateaddict
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by pirateaddict » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:10 pm

I saw some audio video sensors in maplins.. There's digital ones in ghz and one or two old skool analogue only which were a lot cheaper..

yellowbeard
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by yellowbeard » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:57 pm

You will probably need a receiver with each TV to use video senders. There is no cheap way to boost a video output like you want that is any good and doesn't cause interference. There are cheap nasty ways like sticking a TV distribution amplifier and an RF attenuator between the modulator and an antenna for about £20, there are pirate TV transmitters available for about £200 and semi pro TV transmitters for about £2,000. Any of these could wipe out your neighbours TV reception. Running cables is a better solution, there is no pricking around with antennas, no snow and you can walk around your house without blocking the wifes soap operas. Thats my 2 cents. :smoke

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:00 pm

I used some cheap analogue modulators (the kind that used to be used in video games and cheap home computers) and connected them directly to the aerial input of the TV. I then used a Raspberry Pi Zero as the IP to video converter, and fed the TV over the home network. It cost about £15 per TV, and I could stream programmes from my Sky Box, for the NAS box or any of the networked computers. The audio to each TV was mono, but the results were perfectly acceptable and allowed me to make use of a couple of otherwise useless old TVs.
"Why is my rig humming?"
;)

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:02 pm

teckniqs wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:36 am Couldn't you change the piece of wire to a TV yagi aerial though? That should make some difference...
Problem is that the Yagi wouldn't be matched - it would need a 75Ω feed - and it would be very directional if you did get it to match.
"Why is my rig humming?"
;)

Maximus
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by Maximus » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:42 pm

A launch amp would certainly boost the signal from a modulator. It should also work fine with a 75 ohm high gain aerial.

You'd probably want some good filtering as those things are wideband and are liable to spog all over the place. Especially when overdriven.

I'd prefer to use a DVB-T modulator as have never been happy with those tin can analogue things. Plus there's no nicam carrier and the video often bleeds into the audio subcarrier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk