Outdoor container

Everything technical about radio can be discussed here, whether it's transmitting or receiving. Guides, charts, diagrams, etc. are all welcome.
g2000
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Outdoor container

Post by g2000 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:24 am

I've got a potential site for a rig, but there is no shelter etc there. Does have a power source though.

Anyone got any tips for some kind of container to put all my kit in that will protect it from the elements, animals, and inquisitive folk, while not letting it overheat?

yellowbeard
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Re: Outdoor container

Post by yellowbeard » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:56 pm

Try a garden centre, I saw outdoor electrical boxes in my local a couple of weeks ago for €20 - it bolts to a wall and is about big enough for a domestic fusebox. They also sell lockable storage boxes that fit a small lawnmower for €50.

g2000
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by g2000 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:56 pm

Ah, will have a look for suitable electrical box - guess heat buildup may be an issue from the transmitter. Would holes on the bottom help this, or do nothing given that heat rises and all...

Maximus
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by Maximus » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:35 pm

If you’ve got good air circulation, I can’t see why this wouldn’t work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thewisepranker
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by thewisepranker » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:05 pm

The best option would be to have a very large heatsink on the outside with no active cooling. It can then be up in the IP64 range if you make careful decisions when you build it, ensuring the thermal resistance between the board, your intermediate heatsink (which serves as a spacer and is most likely going to be a machined block of aluminium) and the "outside world" heatsink is as low as possible.

This heatsink might seem to cost a lot but by the time you've faffed around with waterproof boxes that you've got to cut a hole in etc., well, you've no longer got a waterproof box and what'll happen is "lol the rig got wet" as per the user on here.

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:27 pm

Years ago, we used to put the rig and receiver inside an upturned milk bottle crate.
"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)

OldskoolPirate
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by OldskoolPirate » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:27 pm

You need a customised safe. Otherwise the scum will get it
:tup

g2000
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by g2000 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:00 pm

The sealed unit with massive heat sink in the outside sounds great, but probably beyond my abilities... I found a 45l water resistant scuba box that will fit all my stuff in...

My main questions now:

1) box is 37x30x30 cm - with a 150w rig and raspberry pi in there with it sealed would heat reach a destructive level?

2) I can drill holes in the bit you put your fingers into when carrying it for air inlet/outlet - due to the position I’m happy that we won’t get water getting in... however will condensation be a problem?

Essentially, am I best having it sealed and risking heat buildup or having a few air holes and risking condensation?

Ta