Need help with satcan

Everything technical about radio can be discussed here, whether it's transmitting or receiving. Guides, charts, diagrams, etc. are all welcome.
OldskoolPirate
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Need help with satcan

Post by OldskoolPirate » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:21 pm

Can anyone help me with a satcan I have. Running on 15v regulator 500ma. Instead of making the regular white noise (without lnb connected) it’s just making a popping sound.

It’s one of these. https://djmtx.weebly.com/store/p2/Satca ... eiver.html
:tup

Analyser
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Re: Need help with satcan

Post by Analyser » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:22 pm

Have you tried with an LNB connected? Some cans go quiet or make funny noises without an LNB, but are fine with.

OldskoolPirate
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by OldskoolPirate » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:48 am

I’ve connected the lnb and it goes white noise, but underneath is like a popping sound and it’s not linking in properly. Tried traffic light horn and small c&k aswell.
:tup

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:49 am

Have you got an oscilloscope? Take a look at the output of the regulators. I had a couple of Satcan receivers that made strange noises because the regulators were not sufficiently filtered. Adding 100n capacitors to the legs of the regs (input to ground and output to ground) cured the problem entirely.

Another possibility is that you have a noisy electrolytic capacitor in the audio path - check them. Also make sure that the tuning voltage is stable - if it's wandering about, you won't be able to link, and it'll make all sorts of noises!
"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)

teckniqs
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by teckniqs » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:37 am

Shouldn't it be 12v?

Banus_radio
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by Banus_radio » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:24 pm

It has a loud audio output, i suspect the popping noise is you over modulating into your exciter, turn is volume right down, link up then turn up to the required level