2ghz Link

Everything technical about radio can be discussed here, whether it's transmitting or receiving. Guides, charts, diagrams, etc. are all welcome.
OldskoolPirate
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

2ghz Link

Post by OldskoolPirate » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:23 am

With the 10ghz satcans getting rare now days, there still seems to be a lot of tuners around the 2ghz freq. could these be used to link with a 2ghz horn and link box ?
:tup

Maximus
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Re: 2ghz Link

Post by Maximus » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:57 am

There have been people trying this in the past. Not sure how well it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OldskoolPirate
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by OldskoolPirate » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:22 am

Depends on how much and how easily the receiver end can be made though. You don’t wanna be chucking a £100 receiver up the rig site lol.
:tup

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:36 am

We has great success with 5GHz wi-fi gear. We used a crude PCM coding / decoding method (in hardware) and the RF side of so 5GHz "high power" wi-fi gear. We used the "Pringles can" antenna at each end (actually using plastic drainpipe with metal foil stuck to it) and got a reasonably solid link over about 2 km. It was really fiddly to set up, and when there was rain or mist about, it wouldn't make the trip! It was more of a "proof of concept" rather than an actually useful set up.

The best links I ever used were up in the UHF TV bands, using TV aerials at each end. RF techniques at UHF are less forgiving than at Band I or II, but with careful layout and the right components, Band IV or V gear isn't too difficult. Also remember - a TV aerial never really looks out of place!
"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)