should there be such a big difference with frequencies?

Everything technical about radio can be discussed here, whether it's transmitting or receiving. Guides, charts, diagrams, etc. are all welcome.
radionortheast
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

should there be such a big difference with frequencies?

Post by radionortheast » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:51 am

i’ve been playing with 3w, i’m wondering why there should be such a big difference in the signal between different frequencies, low frequency and a higher frequency, I thought at first it might be my pci max giving out less power at the lower part of the band, i’ve used my max pro 3000 + and got the same.

on a lower channel I get a drop in signal, to the west, it fades after a mile, almost losing the signal compleatly, talking about noise, is no where as good on the hills further in the same direction, on the higher frequency, there is no fade the signal comes back on the hills further away. I don’t understand how this should be, I can put my aerial higher up stop the fading, its annoying it gets battered by the wind, even so its not quite the same I don’t think

I’ve used ground plane on both frequencies, on a higher frequency, even with the radials cut really long, 4 or 5 mhz off the frequency, I still get a better signal than I do on a lower frequency.

there is a read out on max pro 3000 + which shows the power, using an old scanner with the aerial taken out, I don’t know accurate it can be, the signal is lower in bars when put it the same distance away from the aerial, I have to take it all the way up 5w, to get the same signal strenght.. i’m wondering if anyone has experineced anything simliar, my pci max was just lower than 3w, when compared to the max pro 3000 + on a lower frequency, even so it dosen’t explain such a poor result. (what i'm talking about is when I set the max pro 3000 + to 3w, obvious it can do much more)

McDonalds
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Re: should there be such a big difference with frequencies?

Post by McDonalds » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:59 pm

Is your aerial tuned to the right length?
the higher up you go the shorter the end bits should be.