Solder

Everything technical about radio can be discussed here, whether it's transmitting or receiving. Guides, charts, diagrams, etc. are all welcome.
sinus trouble
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Solder

Post by sinus trouble » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:01 am

Hello Necks! :)
My trusty roll of 0.5mm lead based solder has finally run out after many years of service!

I recently purchased a replacement roll of 0.5mm lead free solder to keep the health and safety chaps happy!
My soldering now looks a total mess??

Has anyone else experienced this stuff and am I doing something wrong??
I am as stupid as I look! :|

nrgkits.nz
Neckmin
Neckmin

Re: Solder

Post by nrgkits.nz » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:29 am

Avoid the lead free solder it’s rubbish, takes more heat to melt it resulting in more heat being required to solder components - hence some of the more heat sensitive components are at more risk of failing when being soldered. Try using lead free solder to solder large heatsink pins to a double sided pcb with through hole plating - it takes a lot more heat and patience.

duncanorak
ne guy
ne guy

Post by duncanorak » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:19 pm

I agree. It has also been found that after a while it grows fine strands that can bridge to the next solder joint and can cause all sorts of problems which is why it is banned from use in military, medical and space hardware.

sinus trouble
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by sinus trouble » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:44 pm

Interesting replies, Thankyou

I believe Mr NZ is spot on the melting point is 217 degrees which seems quite common for lead free? Whilst others are generally around 188 degrees?

There is also another catch to this particular product too!
Lead Free.PNG
'Ecosol 105' is unlike any flux I have known? The complete product also has no hazard classification whatsoever? The fumes have a weird pine tree hinted scent? (No logical reference to Christmas) :lol:

I done test soldering on scrap PCB, with a clean copper surface and some extra 'Dwell' time it seems ok!
As I mainly do repairs on used equipment, I don't think it will work well!

I also found tinning PVC sheathed cable to be a problem too! The insulation would melt, recede and solder blobbing occurs! I wasn't getting that solder absorbing into the strands like my old stuff!

Unfortunately my original spool has no label to identify but I know it is lead based cos when I run it between finger and thumb I get the lead streak if you know what I mean?? :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I am as stupid as I look! :|

Banus_radio
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by Banus_radio » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:14 am

You want 60/40 solder. Punch '60/40 solder' into ebay and take your pick. 0.7mm is a good size
60% tin, 40% lead

nrgkits.nz
Neckmin
Neckmin

Post by nrgkits.nz » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:08 am

Also when tinning the centre conductor of RG58 ready to terminate with N connectors, the worst solder you can use is the lead free stuff - if you’re not fast enough to solder the centre pin then the dialectric starts to melt, it goes out of shape, is no longer 50ohms and you’ll have a harder time trying to get it to slip into the connector body as it would have expanded.