blown transistor

Everything technical about radio can be discussed here, whether it's transmitting or receiving. Guides, charts, diagrams, etc. are all welcome.
radium98
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

blown transistor

Post by radium98 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:44 am

hello,we have a blown rf transistor fitted in 25w-30w nrg kit amplifier ,that we could not get another ,and at junk box i found one bly88c 15w and another c1946a 30w other model ,what is better to replace with yes bly88c is other type model that dierctly could fit ,but prefer to change a bit in layout with a dremel and fit the 1s1946a but my question how much can we expect as an output ,and does it remain +/- wideband ,i see one trimmer yellow 65pf
thanks

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Re: blown transistor

Post by Albert H » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:03 am

What is the PA that's blown? Is it a genuine "NRG" one (in which case it can be mended) or is it a "Veronica" one (in which case you may as well scrap it for parts!)? I don't recall any 30W NRG PA. There was a 15 / 40 Watt job.

How do you know that the transistor has failed? How did you kill it?

Can you post a photo of the PA?

If it's a genuine NRG one, the first thing that would fail is the supply fuse. It's unlikely that the BLW60 has failed, but if it has, you need to replace it with the same part.

The NRG PA isn't "broadband" - they tune broadly (usually over about 3 MHz without adjustment), but the trimmer has to be peaked if the frequency is changed much.
"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)

teckniqs
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by teckniqs » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:24 pm

Albert H wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:03 am What is the PA that's blown? Is it a genuine "NRG" one (in which case it can be mended) or is it a "Veronica" one (in which case you may as well scrap it for parts!)? I don't recall any 30W NRG PA. There was a 15 / 40 Watt job.

How do you know that the transistor has failed? How did you kill it?

Can you post a photo of the PA?

If it's a genuine NRG one, the first thing that would fail is the supply fuse. It's unlikely that the BLW60 has failed, but if it has, you need to replace it with the same part.

The NRG PA isn't "broadband" - they tune broadly (usually over about 3 MHz without adjustment), but the trimmer has to be peaked if the frequency is changed much.
I think around 2004/05 they had a 30w PA with the device PT31963 (and the device being sold for £6.95 each)

nrgkits.nz
Neckmin
Neckmin

Post by nrgkits.nz » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:51 pm

I have BLW60's in stock if required - all original ex NRG UK stock from Christine shortly after she closed the business down.