Gunnplexor satcan question

Everything technical about radio can be discussed here, whether it's transmitting or receiving. Guides, charts, diagrams, etc. are all welcome.
OgreVorbis
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Gunnplexor satcan question

Post by OgreVorbis » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:59 pm

Hi,

I am from the US and there is very little info on this here. I just bought this gunnplexor: https://www.ebay.com/itm/X-BAND-TRANSCE ... 3685069830

Will it work with this satcan here? https://djmtx.weebly.com/store/p2/Satca ... eiver.html

So can I just capacity couple the audio into the power supply for the gunnplexor? How does the modulation normally get applied?

I also purchased an empty gunnplexor cavity because I thought I might need a higher power diode. This diode looks good: https://www.ebay.com/itm/MATCHED-PAIR-C ... 1272015905

It is a slightly lower frequency 9.5 instead of the normal 10.5. Will it work? If not maybe there is a source for a gunnplexor with > 8mW
The distance is about 5km line of sight.

teckniqs
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Re: Gunnplexor satcan question

Post by teckniqs » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:54 pm

Never used those Satcans before but they were recommended by a well known Dutch builder (on here) for someone who needed a Satcan for 10 to 11Ghz a few years ago.

....I would highly recommend a much larger/longer flange (waveguide) for that Gunn, as it only has the very small C&K alarm detector system short-range type fitted on it.

OgreVorbis
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by OgreVorbis » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:53 am

OK, good. I had to look more carefully at the board because the page doesn't say 10G anywhere, but now I see it on the board, so it should work.

I've collected some schematics from google images. They all use somewhat different methods, but it doesn't seem too complicated.
Is there a way that the modulation is typically done over here?

For the receiver, I got a Ku band LNB cause the X band ones are hard to find and expensive. It says 10.7 ~ 12.75 GHz (LO : 9.75 & 10.6 GHz) so I think it should work? So I just hook the coax from the satcan to the LNB and it sends RF and power for the LNB, nothing else needed?

OgreVorbis
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by OgreVorbis » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:00 am

Just realized that site with the satcan doesn't work at all; the contact page is completely blank and when I try to add to cart, nothing happens.

Does anyone know the guy who sells them?

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:06 am

I always used to buy sat cans from Sendz Components in Shoeburyness. They sell lots of parts removed from old gear and charge next-to-nothing for them. Contact them to see if they have anything left.
"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)

shorty
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by shorty » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:22 pm

A forum member on here or it could have been the old radionecks site, i can't remember who it was, posted this schematic for a modulator circuit to apply audio to your micrwave horn, it works well i've used it a few times.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

shorty
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by shorty » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:29 pm

Ogrevorbis try hf electronics for a satcan, i believe he has some sharp ones available.

www.hf-electronics.nl

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:35 pm

shorty wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:22 pm A forum member on here or it could have been the old radionecks site, i can't remember who it was, posted this schematic for a modulator circuit to apply audio to your micrwave horn, it works well i've used it a few times.
That's pretty much the circuit that I came up with in the 1980s. You can use frequency-selective bypassing of the first transistor to introduce pre-emphasis if you need it.
"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)

Shedbuilt
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by Shedbuilt » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:36 pm

I did it slightly differently. I used an op-amp, trimmed the reference voltage to the op-amp, with an emitter follower; to drive the Gunn (current dumping). Where pre-emphasis was required, I did it in the negative feedback loop.
Also used to buy those sat-cans from Sendz (LNBs too if I remember rightly); back in the mid-nineties.

OgreVorbis
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by OgreVorbis » Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:06 am

Albert H wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:06 am I always used to buy sat cans from Sendz Components in Shoeburyness. They sell lots of parts removed from old gear and charge next-to-nothing for them. Contact them to see if they have anything left.
I'm not in the UK and it doesn't seem like they have an online shop.
shorty wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:29 pm Ogrevorbis try hf electronics for a satcan, i believe he has some sharp ones available.

www.hf-electronics.nl
I had a look, but I don't see any satcans on there.
I think I might go with this (a little expensive): http://users.otenet.gr/~nsavvas/tuner_en.html

I got a temporary setup just using a handheld icom receiver as the "satcan". It was good enough for a test.
The gunnplexor sends pretty good. I set up an old satellite dish about 30 meters away and it works well. This is without a horn, just the tiny thing about 1cm that it came with. I'm pretty impressed with it only being 8mW. I'm going to get a bigger horn and do the real long distance test in a week or so.

The only problem I am having is the gunn is drifting a lot. After being on for 15mins, it was still drifting down. It moved about 10MHz before I turned it off. How did they used to keep these things locked? I am assuming it is a temperature thing, but maybe my bench supply isn't stable enough. I'm thinking of using a TEC with a temp controller, but I don't know if that's the best way. Is there like a PLL type thing for it?

yellowbeard
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by yellowbeard » Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:46 am

He has a couple of hundred in stock for €5 yoyos a piece - though you have to use the search to find them.
https://www.hf-electronics.nl/Webwinkel ... atcan.html
:tup

RF-Head
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by RF-Head » Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:43 pm

That one i have in my shop has only a 479.5MHz output and no audio output
I had bought them and thought it has audio out but no :(
But i have sharp cans (short and long) in stock and i have them on ebay

OgreVorbis
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by OgreVorbis » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:55 pm

teckniqs
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by teckniqs » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:52 am

RF-Head wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:43 pm That one i have in my shop has only a 479.5MHz output and no audio output
I had bought them and thought it has audio out but no :(
But i have sharp cans (short and long) in stock and i have them on ebay
The one you recommended doesn't work? lol :whistle