Old veronica transmitter 12w fault

Everything technical about radio can be discussed here, whether it's transmitting or receiving. Guides, charts, diagrams, etc. are all welcome.
radionortheast
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Re: Old veronica transmitter 12w fault

Post by radionortheast » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:32 pm

maybe try sound solution if you have it, it did sound tiny compared to stereo tool, it never seemed as thought it was been clipped, at least with alot of modern music around today, it depends on what your playing with classical music theres no audio processor which will make it sound good, just listen to classic fm then compare it with radio 3 ;) its worth mentioning that mp3s are often distorted. It also depends where your listening in a car or out listening throught headphones, you won’t notice the distortion as much as if you where sitting infront of a good hifi at home, while you can turn off alot of stuff in stereo tool or in your audio processor, your signal will sound lower while out and about and be more likely to be interfered with. :)

sinus trouble
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by sinus trouble » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:31 pm

I think you have hit the nail on the head Mr Northeast!
Radio and audio in general was based on analogue systems in the past, And although far from perfect? It was a hell of a lot better than todays standard of digital processing! A human ear can be trained to tolerate the clarity of Pootube and alike!
We also have to take into account that distortion in some modern tracks seems to be trendy theses days?
I am as stupid as I look! :|

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:41 am

Maybe we should start a new topic on this, but here goes:

It's interesting to look at an oscillogram of an original 1985 CD and compare it with the same CD re-released today.

A good case in point is "Brothers In Arms" by Dire Straits. The 1985 CD has a dynamic range of close to 50 dB. The quiet bits (and there are many) are very quiet and can't be heard over the engine noise in a car. The 2014 re-release is horrible. It has a dynamic range of just under 10 dB, and all the loud bits are deliberately clipped! This is gross distortion, and the record company expect punters to pay a premium price for this "remastered" piece of garbage! This is partly why many people are returning to vinyl for "better quality", but even the re-released LPs these days have deliberate clipping in an effort to make them sound "loud".

I've worked in recording and broadcast studios for over 40 years, and I can assure you all that quality has declined over the last 30 years, despite the massive improvements in recording technology. The best period for recorded audio quality was from (about) 1975 - 85, when recording, mastering and cutting engineers really knew their stuff, and the last of the big studios were built.

The rise of "Dance" music marked the start of the disintegration of recording standards. The record companies quickly realised that it was much cheaper to sell a recording made by some kid in his back bedroom on a computer, than it was to record, promote and sell a "traditional" act, recorded in a proper studio by people who knew what they were doing. These days, commercial recorded sound is still abysmal. but one or two companies have woken up to the fact that there is a market for real quality.

It's going to be interesting in the next few years. "Dance" music in all its myriad sub-genres will probably continue, but will be less mainstream than it is now. There will be a massive resurgence of good quality Rock and Pop into the mainstream, and the Interweb will help to spread the word that there are good alternatives to the mindless pap turned out by the record industry at the moment!
"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)

Novaro
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by Novaro » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:50 pm

radionortheast wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:32 pm maybe try sound solution if you have it, it did sound tiny compared to stereo tool, it never seemed as thought it was been clipped, at least with alot of modern music around today, it depends on what your playing with classical music theres no audio processor which will make it sound good, just listen to classic fm then compare it with radio 3 ;) its worth mentioning that mp3s are often distorted. It also depends where your listening in a car or out listening throught headphones, you won’t notice the distortion as much as if you where sitting infront of a good hifi at home, while you can turn off alot of stuff in stereo tool or in your audio processor, your signal will sound lower while out and about and be more likely to be interfered with. :)
Hello thanks for replying. I have tried ss it is good. Generally I tried to show that the subject of how to sound to become addictive to ears it is very complex subject where all parameters matter.

rigmo
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Re: Old veronica transmitter 12w pictures

Post by rigmo » Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:23 pm

Novaro wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:54 am Veronica pll3 pictures
do you have part list ?

radium98
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by radium98 » Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:32 pm

Polecat
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by Polecat » Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:38 pm

Posting this for info as it might be useful for others with a Veronica PLL3 based TX.
I had exactly the same issue as @Novaro, the OP on this thread ie PLL light was on but Drive Power and Output Power lights were out. In my case it all went Pete Tong when I wound the PSU up from 12v to 15v so I suspected something had blown.
And Albert was right, the MPX PT8860 is the weak link. I replaced it with a Motorola MRF607 (as suggested earlier in this thread) and that's done the trick. In fact at 15v my 12w unit is now pushing 19w on the meter and I'm Mr Happy again.
Just reading this over before pressing submit and I made it all sound so easy. It wasn't but I got there in the end!
Cheers all.
Polecat
No Groove Where I Come From

Polecat
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by Polecat » Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:55 pm

PS. On the subject of compressor limiters, I have the Veronica hardware unit and I think it's brilliant. Disable pre emphasis on the tx, set the compressor levels per instructions and I can't imagine how an FM signal could sound any better. And I'm a stickler for sound quality. Plus, and maybe it's just me but I find the LEDs addictive. Once i start looking at them, I find it hard to look away.
Polecat

woodyalaska
ne guy
ne guy

Post by woodyalaska » Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:08 am

Screen Shot 2021-12-20 at 12.06.36 AM.png
Good old radionecks customer :lol: :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

teckniqs
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by teckniqs » Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:50 am

woodyalaska wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:08 am Screen Shot 2021-12-20 at 12.06.36 AM.png

The one in your photo is clearly a fake. Looks liike someone's finger has gently brushed away some of the writing print on the number '6' , another slight gentle dab from a finger and it will wipe it off completely. Stay clear of fake clones. :tup

OldskoolPirate
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by OldskoolPirate » Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:27 am

Some fakes do actually work. Others not so much. The quality just isn’t reliable. After chucking 4 or so away because they’re only putting out 0.3w or so, you’ve paid the same price as a real device. That being said, you can’t even get the real deal now days.
:tup

RF-Head
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by RF-Head » Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:02 pm

same datecode as the 2N4427 from ebay
so 100% fake

MiXiN
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by MiXiN » Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:10 am

teckniqs wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:50 am
woodyalaska wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:08 am Screen Shot 2021-12-20 at 12.06.36 AM.png

The one in your photo is clearly a fake. Looks liike someone's finger has gently brushed away some of the writing print on the number '6' , another slight gentle dab from a finger and it will wipe it off completely. Stay clear of fake clones. :tup
+1

Also, a****f is also best avoided (more so than clones) :D

Polecat
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by Polecat » Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:08 pm

Just to be clear, I asked Paul originally because I thought he should know what would work as a replacement part for my blown PT8860. He didn't. And no surprise there you may say.
Once I fixed the rig, I told Paul what I'd done and he's just letting people know. There's nothing wrong with that imo, esp if it keeps someone else's PLL3 alive.
I've no idea where that pic he used came from. My MRF607 took a while to find and it wasn't cheap. It doesn't look like the one in the pic and I'm assured it's genuine Motorola. If not, at least the rig works and for me it's job done.
Polecat

rigmo
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by rigmo » Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:29 am

mrf on the start is expensive... do you tray 2n2219
ECG/NTE 472 (2N5913)
2N3553
BFS23A

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:51 pm

The original device when Stephen built that circuit was a 2N3553 (he got them from me!).
"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)

Polecat
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by Polecat » Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:43 pm

rigmo wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:29 am mrf on the start is expensive... do you tray 2n2219
ECG/NTE 472 (2N5913)
2N3553
BFS23A
Thanks Rigmo but it's all done now. Leave this here for the record and it could save someone else the hassle and some cheese.
Polecat

Polecat
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by Polecat » Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:51 pm

Albert H wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:51 pm The original device when Stephen built that circuit was a 2N3553 (he got them from me!).
Didn't know that Albert. What ended up in its place certainly wasn't up to the task.
Polecat