Hello all

Oh hello - you must be new. Introduce yourself to the radio world here!
Old pirate
ne guy
ne guy

Hello all

Post by Old pirate » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:06 pm

Hello to one and all...I'm from pitsea in Essex ...decided to go live and join ....a bit about me I'm now 45 turns on the coil and have been interested in all things radio since hearing the police On me mums stereo way back in 1978

....having progressed through walke talkies CB swl scanners and Ham radio I decided in 1989 to try fm piracy and after getting to know Keith Stafford of Essex icr fame,originally some so called friends would not give me his number, but I bumped into him on a college course for electronics we became drinking buddies and he built me 10 watt starter rig to try then a 30 watt rig and we went on air on a cold Nov night in 1989 from me mums shed with dipole shoved high in sky in over laindon in Essex infinity fm was born 105.4 MHz

......a good laugh we had going on every fri night 6pm till early hours a good crowd listened . And good fun had we started with soul show 6 to 8 pm Dj daz.... hip hop 8pm to 10 pm black Gareth .....10 pm to early hours reggae ...or when Dj chicken fell a sleep on technics 1210s .herbal fags ...but one night in March 1990 I spotted a guy outside making notes and looking at aerial on our roof as I approached he sped off.... I gave Keith his description and he said take a break or move site .....as we would soon be getting a visit I decided to sell up and gave it to some others to carry on ...with a name changed to Odessy fm heavily promoting acid house and raves but no technical know how they blew the rig ......then came threats to smash my face if did not help them ......I stood my ground shaking ... I can't fight but they got the message ...beware who you set up with was my message and keep it small

...that was 27 years ago I still transmitt but to me only "mega low power to my own house get my nephews involved in this unique pastime having a laugh and teaching them radio and mixers and dj ing ..so there we are I miss it I love the tech side . Keith Stafford that is sadly no longer with us and passed away a few years back ..we used to regularly chat on ham radio and reminisce on about all our past laughs . One day I will tell you some his antics. Regards rob

Last edited by SD-E1102 (to make it easier to read)

sde-1104
Neckmin
Neckmin

Re: Hello all

Post by sde-1104 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:12 am

Welcome!

teecee
ne guy
ne guy

Re: Hello all

Post by teecee » Tue May 17, 2016 11:09 pm

Gday to all - I just decided to do a random search on ICR and found this post (can't fault Google eh), and even more random is that Old Pirate posted only a few weeks back.

ICR was one of the stations that I hold dear. I lived in the Southend area in the 80s and was amazed when I found FM stations that played music that I had only heard a few times on commercial stations. I used to say up late waiting for the BBC stations to go off-air, so I could pick up the London pirates without too much interference, running a long aerial wire across trees in the garden (if only the internet was alive then, and I could have installed a tuned FM aerial, but I didn't know they existed, anyways...)

One day I stumbled over Inner City Radio (deep voice ident) and was hooked by its strong hifi FM signal. I was introduced to street soul, Sade, Vandross, funk, breakbeats, house and techno (light techno, mind).

ICR was one of the Essex pirates, along with Horizon and a few others, that educated me and my mates about the music that was out there, but not played on the major stations.

Full credit to all involved, you played a big part in a lot of people's lives, though you wouldn't necessarily know it.

A shame when Soul Man closed - needless to say, I was not in Southend area at the time, and none of my so-called mates living in the area told me the store was selling off their stock of rare house and techno at knock down prices. Grrrrr

Cheers

TC