Dual Band PMR Radio's - July 2015

Radio related FOI responses by Ofcom to be posted into here for reference & discussion!
sde-1104
Neckmin
Neckmin

Dual Band PMR Radio's - July 2015

Post by sde-1104 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:13 pm

Thank you for your request for information about dual band PMR radios. This was received
on 15 July 2015.

You asked:

“With dual band 5 watts pmr radios being widely & very cheaply available, as well as in
common, regular unlicensed use across the whole of the UK. How many complaints has
Ofcom received & what actions have been taken, regarding nuisance behaviour in the
136-174 MHz & the 400-520 MHz band segments during the past 24 months, Amateur
radio bands excluded.

Has Ofcom taken any action against the use of non complaint radios on the licence free
PMR 446 MHz band during the past 24 months & if so what actions. Does Ofcom have any
evidence of these dual band radios being used by unlicensed operators on the Marine
Band.”

I am writing to advise that Ofcom has completed its search.

We hold no data in response to your request, as we have received no complaints about
nuisance behaviour in the 136-174 MHz & the 400-520 MHz band segments during the
past 24 months and have no evidence of these dual band radios being used by unlicensed
operators on the Marine Band; we have therefore taken no enforcement action.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... o.pdf.html

MiXiN
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Re: Dual Band PMR Radio's - July 2015

Post by MiXiN » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:16 am

I've only just seen this post even though it was posted a while ago.

I find this response by OFCOM quite hard to believe, because I used to listen to my scanner quite regularly about a year ago and I often heard the unique Baofeng Siren call or Roger beep, with bad language, interfering with various repeaters; IKEA, Amateur repeaters, and even on shop watch schemes.

These Baofeng & Puxing handheld rigs are dirt cheap & apparently pretty good for the price, so I get the feeling that my location isn't the only place where this repeater abuse is happening.