Wolverhampton Raid request - August 2014

Radio related FOI responses by Ofcom to be posted into here for reference & discussion!
sde-1104
Neckmin
Neckmin

Wolverhampton Raid request - August 2014

Post by sde-1104 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:29 pm

Thank you for your request for information dated 9 August about a studio raid in February
2013 in Wolverhampton, which was logged at this office on 11 August and which has been
considered under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 (‘the Act’). I note from your
communication that you originally posted a request for this information on the What Do They
Know website on 4 June. However, we did not receive this request at that time. We have
now considered the request and I am happy to provide the information below in response to
your questions.

1) The name of the station raided.
The station was an illegal broadcast station in the Wolverhampton area that operated on the
FM Band. Ofcom does not publish names of such stations, as it would give them
unnecessary publicity. The names of legal stations can be obtained on the Ofcom website
(www.ofcom.org.uk).

2) The motive behind the raid (was it complaint initiated, if so by whom i.e. Local Authority,
Public, Emergency Service), or another reason, please include full details of what is on
record.
This information is being withheld as it falls under the exemption in section 31 of the Act,
which relates to law enforcement and the functions of a public authority. In applying this
exemption we have had to balance the public interest in withholding the information against
the public interest in disclosing the information. In the annex I have set out the exemption in
full, as well as the factors Ofcom considered when deciding where the public interest lay.