1. Please provide the numbers, and details where possible, of prosecutions against
individuals that have taken place between the specified dates.
We have made 10 prosecutions against 9 individuals.
2. Out of the number of persons identified, how many have had multiple prosecutions?
There has been one multiple prosecution.
3. Please list the names of all the unlicensed broadcast stations you know of and the number
of times enforcement action has been carried against each of them, including dates and
those where no action was taken (e.g the radio station left the air of its own accord before
any action could be taken) clearly showing the method of enforcement used (ie: studio raid,
main transmitter removal, mobile telephones disconnected, website domain name blocking
44 operations were conducted against 10 known illegal broadcast stations operating in
Yorkshire. The identity of the stations is being withheld under s44 of the Act. Section 44 of
the Act prevents organisations releasing information if another Act has said that it shouldn’t,
such as the Communications Act 2003, or the Wireless Telegraphy Act 2006.
For further information on Section 44 of the Act, please see:
This information is being withheld under Section 44 of the Act, in line with Section 38 (2) (c)
(i) of the Wireless Telegraphy Act 2006. That is because releasing details about the stations,
such as names or frequencies, could be seen to be facilitating their day-to-day operations.
Any enforcement action that may or may not have been taken against pirate radio broadcast
stations is being withheld under Section 31 of the Act. The release of this information to the
general public may prejudice Ofcom’s ability to perform its ongoing regulatory functions etc etc
4. How many enforcement visits have been as a result from information supplied from
members of the public or licence paying broadcasters?
Reports/complaints from the public can determine the level of action that Ofcom takes. Our
systems do not readily attribute each single report to an enforcement operation. Please see
5. Please supply a breakdown of costs for each case of enforcement action carried out.
This information is not held.
6. Please give details of any complaints or allegations made by the public or by licence
The following figures are reports of illegal broadcasting in the period 2009 to present from
members of the public/broadcasters (Note: these are not complaints about Ofcom)
7. Out of the unlicensed broadcast stations identified, if any have not had enforcement action
against them? Please supply information as to why it hasn't taken place.
This information is also being withheld under Section 44 of the Act, in line with Section 111 of
the Wireless Telegraphy Act 2006; Section 44 is an absolute exemption under the Act and
does not require a public interest test.
8. How many reports of interference to safety of life services or aviation have been reported
in Yorkshire between the dates stated above, if any please state which authority reported it
and if the interference was proven to be attributed to unlicensed/pirate radio?
There were no reports.
Radio related FOI responses by Ofcom to be posted into here for reference & discussion!
1 post • Page 1 of 1
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest