worst pirate station?

Discuss all things relating to the busy London Pirate Radio scene.
SproggBoxSpecials
ne guy
ne guy

Re: worst pirate station?

Post by SproggBoxSpecials » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:50 pm

Flex FM

Westflex
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by Westflex » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:13 pm

least flex dont sprogg was listening to a decent show on TF earlier today round Grays area on a call and all i could heard was 906 splattering every where

DJ Mikey
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by DJ Mikey » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:19 pm

Its just down to the weather, another tropo is causing some crazy signals tonight from up and down the country and overseas. Cant honestly say what I reckon worst pirate station is there is a few though. :tup

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:26 am

Got some great tropo this evening. I heard one of my Eastern European 1kW stations in North London, completely flattening a Radio 2 regional! Got stereo and RDS. A real (nice) surprise!
"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)

famefm
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by famefm » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:58 pm

I was picking up heart 100.7 for the Midlands battering classic 100.6 and classic from the Midlands on 100.1 battering kiss 100 in Windsor Great Park this week?

teckniqs
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by teckniqs » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:46 pm

Yeah I get that every so often but get the more powerful one's like 97.9 and 100.1 most of the time. But receiving Heart FM under any conditions is never a good thing.

famefm
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by famefm » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:46 pm

Absolutely isn't good hearing heart ever? Never had the 100.7 before as for radio 1 97.9 Midlands loads of time that has come along with 88.3 Rd Midlands R3 90.5 Midlands and R4 93.7 Midlands and it's a pain

pirateaddict
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by pirateaddict » Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:38 am

Jeeeeeeez.. That radio 1, 97.9 gets all over. .. I can get it here in Sheffield absolutely bangin solid! How far south does this signal actually go?

pirateaddict
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by pirateaddict » Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:41 am

Just checked and can get the other ones solid apart from rad 2 88.3 is a bit fuzzy..

famefm
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by famefm » Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:22 am

It somtimes goes to far? I'm 110 miles at least from the River 97.9

famefm
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by famefm » Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:26 am

I ment R1 or maybe the river making me want to jump in it? The interference at this time of year is driving me mad?

bristolpirates
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by bristolpirates » Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:38 am

I'm not sure which 97.9 we get here in Bristol, most likely the Midlands one I guess rather than the Trowbridge one. When it came on in 1990 it forced a pirate on 97.9 here to move frequency because it was overpowering the pirate, and today it was cutting into Ujima (community station) on 98.0 as I was trying to listen on the bus into town. I don't think it's usually that bad, but when there is tropo it can be a pain.

teckniqs
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by teckniqs » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:53 am

That's amusing and reminds me of when there was a station on 97.9 in Brighton a few years ago and during the summer time Radio 1 was coming in so strong that they thought someone local had put radio 1 over the top of them on 97.9!

4therecord
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by 4therecord » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:38 pm

Over the years there have sadly been so many, the one's that get me are the African ones that sound dreadful and I think, who's behind this? - they must tune it in themselves, do they think it sounds OK?... do they think people would listen to this.... DO people listen to this!!! - by which point it's normally then time to hit scan....

Westflex
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by Westflex » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:47 pm

the ever so growing population of africans in london do, they sound fucking shocking fella but to them it prob sounds alright i dont think they set up their rigs i heard some of these africans have shit loads of cash and find a radio engineer that sets up stations for them hes does that gets paid and leaves the rest to them prob why some their signals are ok but audio wise is so piss poor due to themselves doing that part

famefm
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by famefm » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:09 pm

How about hot 90.0 fm that's a quality station? Haha yeah right?

Horizon
ne guy
ne guy

Post by Horizon » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:21 am

Albert H wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:34 pm Yes to both. I once had a bit of a "disagreement" with Horizon's Chris B******** in LWR's Lawrie Park Avenue studio! Dawson intervened and prevented me giving him an "attitude adjustment" with a microphone stand.

I provided some of the gear to many of those stations - all the UHF link stuff that everyone used came from me and some of the audio processors, stereo coders, exciters and PAs were mine too. I also built a lot of aerials.

I got out of selling gear to London wannabe pirate numpties in the late 80s, when the drug dealers took over running the stations and the fun went out of it. The "Hackney 'Mitter Men" (as Roger used to call them) used to spend a lot of money on equipment, but weren't the kind of people you'd want coming 'round to your place.

When I got out of the game here, I continued in Eastern Europe. There was much more money in it over there, and you wouldn't get visited by some jacked-up moron at three in the morning because he couldn't get his link working.

I designed some gear with Stephen up at NRG in the late 90s and early 00s, but still didn't ever supply gear directly to UK stations.

As far as I see it, the morons are still trying to run the London stations. There's nothing left of any quality - with the occasional programme from B2B, Kool or one or two others being the exceptions that prove the rule. Most of it is idiots playing bad records for their mates. It's narrowcasting, not broadcasting!

I don't know what it's like in the rest of the country, but if it's as bad as London, it's Game Over and they may as well give up and move online.
Someone is Living in the world of imagination, whoever this guy is he did not know Chris Stewart as he shows and no equipment used by Horizon ever came from him. As the the mic stand go and see a doctor you need help sunshine

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:00 am

Chris "Stewart" (actually B********) was an arrogant dick who owed a lot of people a lot of money. He used to turn up at Dawson's studio / flat in Lawrie Park Avenue to beg components and records. He blamed one of Dawson's pals for a studio raid he suffered - everything bad that happened to him or his station was always somebody else's fault.

He obtained a particularly powerful synthesised rig from a guy "Up North" that was set up to be used used at Christmas one year from One Tree Hill (near Forest Hill). He "paid" for the rig with a cheque that bounced, so the rig was "repossessed" early on Christmas Eve by its constructor (not Pyers). The next rig that came on (from the "Battleship" Block) later that day was also taken away, and both of these were retuned and reused by another London soul station. The bigger PLL one was used from "Little Trellick" for about six months by a much more successful station.
"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)

famefm
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by famefm » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:00 am

Should not the last post be on pirate stations from the past?

stevemay
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by stevemay » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:47 pm

Horizon wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:21 am
Albert H wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:34 pm Yes to both. I once had a bit of a "disagreement" with Horizon's Chris B******** in LWR's Lawrie Park Avenue studio! Dawson intervened and prevented me giving him an "attitude adjustment" with a microphone stand.

I provided some of the gear to many of those stations - all the UHF link stuff that everyone used came from me and some of the audio processors, stereo coders, exciters and PAs were mine too. I also built a lot of aerials.

I got out of selling gear to London wannabe pirate numpties in the late 80s, when the drug dealers took over running the stations and the fun went out of it. The "Hackney 'Mitter Men" (as Roger used to call them) used to spend a lot of money on equipment, but weren't the kind of people you'd want coming 'round to your place.

When I got out of the game here, I continued in Eastern Europe. There was much more money in it over there, and you wouldn't get visited by some jacked-up moron at three in the morning because he couldn't get his link working.

I designed some gear with Stephen up at NRG in the late 90s and early 00s, but still didn't ever supply gear directly to UK stations.

As far as I see it, the morons are still trying to run the London stations. There's nothing left of any quality - with the occasional programme from B2B, Kool or one or two others being the exceptions that prove the rule. Most of it is idiots playing bad records for their mates. It's narrowcasting, not broadcasting!

I don't know what it's like in the rest of the country, but if it's as bad as London, it's Game Over and they may as well give up and move online.
Someone is Living in the world of imagination, whoever this guy is he did not know Chris Stewart as he shows and no equipment used by Horizon ever came from him. As the the mic stand go and see a doctor you need help sunshine
I can confirm that this story is a lie! But I do Also think we should cut Albert some slack we all know he's not well and that these stories he is telling are not true but he needs help so if any of you are his friends then actually help him instead of taking the piss and pretending you believe him and asking him to tell more lies for your entertainment. On a more positive note horizon was a great station and Chris was a nice guy