Pirate Radio Listnership Figures

Discuss all things relating to the busy London Pirate Radio scene.
Ironman
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Pirate Radio Listnership Figures

Post by Ironman » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:40 pm

Back in the eighties the Radio Authority commissioned a survey to see just how many people were actually listening to pirate radio. Whether their research was accurate I don't know, but according to the report that was published it turned out that the then pirate station Kiss FM was only marginally behind Capital Radio in terms of audience figures. Can you imagine if the same survey was carried out today. I reckon most stations would register zero listenership with only a few having anyone listening and this probably wouldn't even register as these stations probably only broadcast to their friends. I say this because for a living I work as a rep in the motor trade and I visit garages all over London all day everyday. I've doing this for 35 years and back in the eighties I go to garages and most of them would have the soul pirates blasting out of their radio's, eg Solar, Horizon, JFM, LWR, Kiss and countless others. Fast forward to 2017 and bearing in mind that a lot of personel that actually work in these places are young men aged between 17 and 30. You guessed it... It's been a long long time since I heard a pirate station on in one of these premises. Most have on the bland London wide legal music stations. It's just an observation, but I truly believe that pirate radio is dead in the water.

famefm
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Re: Pirate Radio Listnership Figures

Post by famefm » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:09 pm

Got it in one normally listing to bland stations like magic and smooth and I remember people had JFM on 33 years ago but if you look we have already done this subject last year about the average 25 to 50 people who liston to the average pirate now

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:54 pm

It's just because the pirates broadcast narrow crap. 98% of the "yoof" music around today is complete rubbish. The record companies stopped recording quality product in the early 90s. It was cheaper and therefore more profitable to get some kid with Cubase in his back bedroom than it was to get real musicians in a studio. They were further screwed by the lack of revenue once file sharing became commonplace.
There's little quality current music out there and live music is dying out.
If you want to put on a mass-appeal station, make it a "soul oldies" station, with a policy of nothing more recent than 1990. Done right, with presenters who can speak comprehensible English and a good signal, you'll scare the crap out of the legals!

"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)

famefm
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by famefm » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:19 pm

You still think that would work? I have tuned into solar latley on line but it has little of the magic of the 80 s now and far to many adverts along with misoul do you think someone could bring the genuine old school atmosphere back?

drumandbasshead010
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by drumandbasshead010 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:26 pm

I know that on a lot of pirates it is stated on air that what they do is all 'for the love', but is it possible that the station managers/owners keep it up because of the few quid they make from it? Some of the pirates I've heard have up to 20 minutes of adverts every 2 hours. I don't know how much your average pirate charges for the promotion of events these days, but surely it all adds up (pardon the pun).

famefm
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by famefm » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:51 pm

The stations with the most advertising are the black pirates like lighting and station fm

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:51 am

That's part of the point. If anyone had the brains and will to put together a truly "mass appeal" station, they'd be able to charge whatever they liked for the minute or two of ads each hour! Too many ad breaks destroy the flow and feel of a show. Too many ads in each break, and folks tune away. You have to remember in these days of immediate gratification, everyone has a really short attention span.

Note to self: Must post shorter posts to keep people's attention.....
"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)

famefm
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by famefm » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:19 pm

It's not the aadverts putting people of because most of the rubbish station don't have many

Effemm
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by Effemm » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:16 pm

Dancegrooveradio

Have these on when im indoors,. Pure Dance from the 80's, memories galore , not many DJ's but the toons are there ...100% correct about Solar by the way, money making

famefm
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by famefm » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:01 pm

I have never heard of them what sort of age do you think the djs are and is it on tune in?

Effemm
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by Effemm » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:51 pm

No Tunein mate as far as i know...its a Dutch set up, they know their music, i just use its website player to stream...no ads n a handful of djs too, so if music is what you want, this is it !!

peterogerspirate
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by peterogerspirate » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:17 pm

Effemm wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:16 pm Dancegrooveradio

Have these on when im indoors,. Pure Dance from the 80's, memories galore , not many DJ's but the toons are there ...100% correct about Solar by the way, money making
Must admit i listen to dancegroove radio a lot and like you say no adds etc etc i will flick through tune in app for some pirates but if they are mostly playing crap i will tune into dancegroove radio

Going back to the original topic tho we consume music in a very very different way today than we did back in the 90s. In my opinion we have yet to see a former pirate that has been legalised adapt to both the digital age and keep the oldskool age and i truly only think vision and kool could do this :tup

peterogerspirate
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by peterogerspirate » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:20 pm

famefm wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:01 pm I have never heard of them what sort of age do you think the djs are and is it on tune in?
http://tunein.com/radio/Dancegroove-Radio-s54411/

famefm
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by famefm » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:22 pm

Thanks I have just found it