Monster house 88.3

For discussion of all stations in the UK that are outside of London.
fuze
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Monster house 88.3

Post by fuze » Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:56 pm

just found this, not sure if anyone has seen it...

http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/local_n ... _by_court/

Charity broadcaster is silenced by court

(First published Tuesday 12 August 2014 in Local News)
(Last updated 16:38 Thursday 14 August 2014 by Carri-Ann Taylor, Reporter)

A CANCER survivor who set up an unlicensed radio station to raise awareness of the condition has been fined and had his equipment confiscated.

Brian Barfoot, 69, set up Monster FM, in 2010, to promote cancer charities and play music patients would find relaxing.

However, he didn’t apply to for a licence.

Ofcom found out about the pirate station earlier this year and raided the station’s studio at Russell Court, in Wickford Barfoot was arrested and he admitted running and establishing an unlicensed radio station when he appeared at Basildon Magistrates’ Court.

William Chipperfield, prosecuting, told the court Ofcom tracked the source of illegal radio transmissions to Monster FM’s studios in Wickford.

Police raided a rented unit and found Mr Barfoot’s wife Susan with transmitting equipment.

She called her husband who suspended broadcasting, drove to the site and gave himself up.

Mr Chipperfield read a prepared statement from Ofcom, which said it was important broadcasting was monitored so pirate stations do not interfere with emergency service frequencies, or aircraft transmitters.

He said there is no evidence Monster FM had interfered with any other broadcasting.
PROMOTED STORIES

Recommended by

Ofcom estimated the station made about £800 per month from fees charged to DJs to broadcast shows.

Barfoot, who represented himself, said: “Seven years ago I was diagnosed with cancer and given a year to live.

“I was one of the fortunate ones, I survived.

“I set up the radio station as a way of raising awareness, we broadcast adverts for cancer charities and support groups.

“The music was aimed at an older generation.

“We had a DJ who came in a couple of times, but everything else was pre-recorded and submitted to us.We knew there was no swearing or nasty stuff on there.

“The money we earnt was for our pension pot.”

Barfoot was fined £250 and ordered to pay £730 costs.

The court ordered his broadcasting equipment to be destroyed.

Speaking after the hearing, Barfoot, of St David’s Way, Wickford, said the £7,000 licence fee Ofcom charges means smaller radio stations cannot survive.

He said: “The paperwork you have to fill out is more than 67 pages long.

“There is no other radio station out there that specifically helps raise awareness of cancer.

“Ofcom was very heavy handed.

“We wanted to sell the equipment for our pension fund, but now they are going to destroy it. It is worth thousands of pounds.”

An Ofcom spokesperson: “Pirate radio stations can cause serious interference to emergency services frequencies, such as fire and police services, as well as air traffic control. They can also disrupt legitimate radio stations. Therefore, it’s important that Ofcom takes action to remove these illegal stations from the airwaves.

“An affordable way to set-up a radio station without breaking the law or causing interference is by applying for a community radio licence. There are now over 200 community radio stations broadcasting across the UK.”

ir8 pir8
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Re: Monster house 88.3

Post by ir8 pir8 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:51 am

“We wanted to sell the equipment for our pension fund, but now they are going to destroy it.

hahaha ha

Lengman
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by Lengman » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:12 am

fuze wrote:Ofcom estimated the station made about £800 per month from fees charged to DJs to broadcast shows.
LOOOOL fuck off! They only had about 10 DJs :lol:
I'm giving up on you guys cos you're all gimps

teckniqs
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by teckniqs » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:15 am

How long ago did they get raided, it was an 'accident' waiting to happen.

fuze
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by fuze » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:59 pm

teckniqs wrote:How long ago did they get raided, it was an 'accident' waiting to happen.
Not sure, dont think they have been on for quiet a while, I have never been able to get them where i live, as vision are stronger ;)
Yes it should have been linked up, brian was nice enough to let me do a guest show on monster house and i was surprised when i see the rig in the studio lol.
He is a nice enough geezer and knew what he was doing.

DJ Mikey
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by DJ Mikey » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:21 pm

Knew what he was doing Lol hang on, if he knew what he was doing mate he wouldn't of been so bait by having a rig in the studio, the geezer obviously ain't got a clue, and talk about put your Dj's at risk.

teckniqs
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by teckniqs » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:19 pm

Beat me to it... lol

dancemusicdj
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by dancemusicdj » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:46 pm

if i remember rightly they got hit either last year or early this year. seem to be online anyway

fuze
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by fuze » Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:19 pm

yeah you got a point lol, I mean he had good technical knowledge with rigs from what i could gather. But yeah wasnt the best idea going direct.

chesney79
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by chesney79 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:12 am

This guy lives in a dream world, the excuse he is giving is just so fare fetched its unbelievable. In his and others minds they were making money for charity, but on the other hand they are filling up their pension pot, what a lunch he is even believes his own dribble.

Mikey they new what they were doing alright. them rolling direct like that! must of meant they could spend more on there studio equipment.. lol

FMEnjoyer
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by FMEnjoyer » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:48 pm

it culd be argewd that he lasted longer than when rig thiefs are coming taking rig every other week.. ofcom fine was small compared to 5 rigs and links and stuff maybe he knew the score with thiefs kept ist as clean as he could and take ya chances set up 2010 well he last long then... 3 years direct near london good on him :tup

teckniqs
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by teckniqs » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:21 pm

Wasn't their studio robbed though, sure I saw CCTV of Kaz coming out of their studes??

chesney79
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by chesney79 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:53 pm

Kaz sniffs around anything edible! Dirty slap head wouldn't be surprised if it was him on the video footage they posted.
I heard he put some rogues on there that brought trouble to the station. Good luck to him hopefully his days are numbered. Fingers will soon get burnt, once his luck runs out.

Sparki
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by Sparki » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:02 pm

Wow ok never thought the manager was that old! I remember asking for a set at some point but was so busy I never followed it up and just forgot about it. I used to hear it on my travels in the car.

FM King
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by FM King » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:01 am

Sounds like he's got a few screws loose if you ask me!

MiXiN
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by MiXiN » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:23 pm

When are Ofcom going to stop playing the old card of, "Causing interference to Police, Fire, and Ambulance"?

The Police, Fire, and Ambulance are using Tetra, Mototrbo, and various other digital methods since the early 2000s.

Ofcom are a bunch of Cunts with their constant slur of bullshit and must think everyone was born yesterday.

O

teckniqs
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by teckniqs » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:33 pm

Just because it's digital doesn't mean that you can't affect them if you are wideband sprogging all over their frequency, it could still cause them huge problems if it's a data or analogue transmission.

teckniqs
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by teckniqs » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:35 pm

But they only have themselves to blame when it comes to placing the airband right next to the FM band. Even the HAM's down on 70MHz (4metres) like to build their own gear for that band which was right next to the Fire Brigade band so they only have themselves to blame when one of the HAM's causes them problems!

FMEnjoyer
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by FMEnjoyer » Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:38 pm

not really any crpa equipmnent can cause hamronic spurius anywher.

good gear is goog gaer

teckniqs
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by teckniqs » Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:13 pm

Exactly, people please don't be fooled into thinking you can't interfere with digital services just because you can't listen to them any longer on your scanners!!