well worth a viewing....

A place to share all pirate radio related articles, video footage and both short & feature-length documentaries both new & old.
mixfm
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

well worth a viewing....

Post by mixfm » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:55 am

Ironman
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Re: well worth a viewing....

Post by Ironman » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:32 am

Yes indeed... knew this was coming and have been waiting in eager anticipation. No doubt it will generate lots of posts on this forum.

MiXiN
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by MiXiN » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:17 pm

I've put a reminder on it.

It should be a good watch, but there'll no doubt be a fair bit of bullshit added into this because it's being aired by the BBC.

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:09 pm

You'll have to bear in mind that it will be politically slanted (the BBC is run by the Common Purpose Lefties, these days) and they will be trying to show the engineering as being sub-standard, "putting emergency services at risk" and all the usual lies. There will also be the "links to drug dealing and illegal raves" lines......
"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)

MC Spanner
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by MC Spanner » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:41 pm

It's an independent production company. They had a student sniffing around a few stations down here last summer and the one before - some of you may have been contacted. I stayed well clear as alarm bells were ringing!

So apparently it's nice and impartial, but I'll believe that when I see it because I'm told they have dug up some old DTI faces and we all know what they're likely to say - I could write it down word for word, right now! :)

wazza

Post by wazza » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:12 am

Albert H wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:09 pm You'll have to bear in mind that it will be politically slanted (the BBC is run by the Common Purpose Lefties, these days) and they will be trying to show the engineering as being sub-standard, "putting emergency services at risk" and all the usual lies. There will also be the "links to drug dealing and illegal raves" lines......
Absolute bollocks. Most of the prominent political commentators on the BBC are tories.

In any case, why would an organisation that supposedly had a left-wing slant be trying to peddle the usual right-wing anti-pirate propaganda?

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:12 pm

Wazza - are you a Common Purpose "graduate" too? The BBC are so far left that they are almost Communist. FYI - the political regime that allowed the pirates to exist was the 80s Thatcher Tories!
"Why is my rig humming?"
;)

bristolpirates
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by bristolpirates » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:07 pm

Historically, whatever government, both left and right have claimed that the BBC is biased towards the other side. Whichever side you are on, whatever proof you have, I'm sure somebody can give you counter-proof.

That said, many people see Laura Kuenssberg as a Tory, and she's the one who is in charge of the news there, so maybe in the last few years it's been more obviously Tory. The obvious Tory government attack on the BBC, while preparing the way for their best mate Murdoch to take over, is also having some effect.

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:37 am

There is a growing dissatisfaction with the BBC, and viewers are voting with their Licences - many people are not Licensing their homes. It is believed that about 20% of viewing is unlicensed, and the proportion is growing rapidly.

Those "Detector Vans" have been bogus since the end of 405-line monochrome broadcasting, and the Licence Inspectors have no statutory right of entry to your home - just don't let them in and tell them that they're trespassing and that you'll call the Police. They'll bluster and make all sorts of threats (it's good to video record this on your phone) and then - eventually - they'll go away. You'll usually get one or two nasty letters from them - return them "Not Known at This Address" or tell them that there are no TV receivers in the premises (they can't prove if there is or isn't!).
"Why is my rig humming?"
;)

bristolpirates
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by bristolpirates » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:13 pm

Albert H wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:37 am There is a growing dissatisfaction with the BBC, and viewers are voting with their Licences
See above for Government/Murdoch attack on the BBC.

Effemm
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by Effemm » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:12 pm

:tup great to see sum of the original faces then n now, Westoe Hill clip was good, the 80's where it really did all begin for u lot out there broadcasting, where respect was respected ! :tup

mixfm
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by mixfm » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:48 am

thought it was good, some well known faces on there, loved the dti clip & rig builders some decent tunes on there aswell...

Ironman
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by Ironman » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:56 am

Me too, thought it was well put together and it managed to mention most of the major players (albeit briefly) from the 80s.

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:08 am

The chronology was a bit wrong, and they tried to suggest that there were only two major players - LWR and Kiss. It wasn't as bad as it could have been, but they still managed to slip in the old lies about interference to the emergency services! I also made a brief appearance!
"Why is my rig humming?"
;)

shorty
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by shorty » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:18 am

The ex dti guy admitted the interference issues were propaganda to turn the general public against pirate station, he said they only had a couple of interference complaints, you could see he was even hesitant in saying that, so it's now on record it was total ball cocks.

MiXiN
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by MiXiN » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:49 pm

I found it to be more of an advertisement for Kiss more than anything else, but there were some good bits.

The bit about leaving Christmas cards for Eric Gotts had me in stitches.

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:45 am

One day, I'll tell you the story about all the house bricks that Eric collected from one station, thinking each time that he'd got their rig!
"Why is my rig humming?"
;)

Analyser
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by Analyser » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:42 pm

Had a watch this morning.... not too bad I thought. Quite a few old faces, Barry Maxwell and Chris from the DTI and also Pyers.
I found it quite amusing that Pyers still has a load of old pirate junk in his basement and what looks like a full workshop in his loft. Which got me thinking, what happened to SBS, I think it's been bought by Eddystone?
What also got me thinking is that I wonder if anything ever happened when the guys at BW blatently copied his modulator design. Maybe they were mates and Pyers didn't mind.

And I saw another engineer guy on the program who I've never heard of (can't remember the name). He was in shot a few times and had a box of pencils in front of him. Anyone know who that is?

shorty
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by shorty » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:30 pm

regulaterz
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by regulaterz » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:35 pm

very interesting i use to live in that triangle well not in it but on one side.was funny as some dudes where walking up stairs to put twig on roof as i see my old estate agents sign lol .behind one off them in staircase .there was a mast with few dipoles on it next to my flat but then the mast got ripd down by new developers .and also just as i moved a double stack appeared on the pub roof that was shutdown .remembered the parade back in the day too with the burger van and all the cb heads and bikers lol was a mini southend