Sunderland "alledged pirate station" raided

For discussion of all stations in the UK that are outside of London.
RFI2
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Sunderland "alledged pirate station" raided

Post by RFI2 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:33 pm

From today's Sunderland Echo -

Police have shut down a suspected pirate radio station in Sunderland.

The force confirmed that officers acted on a warrant when they visited a property in the city.

A Northumbria Police spokesman said: "On Thursday morning, August 16, police executed a warrant at an address on Halstead Square, Sunderland.

"It followed intelligence suggesting a suspected pirate radio station was being broadcast in the area.

"This has now been shut down and a person is being dealt with for offences under the Wireless Telegraphy Act 2006.

"We would like to remind the public that it is illegal to operate an unlicensed radio station or use equipment that may cause interference or have the potential to disrupt the communications of critical services."

https://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/cri ... -1-9310825

I hadn't heard - or heard of - any pirate opperating locally.

RFI2
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Re: Sunderland "alledged pirate station" raided

Post by RFI2 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:38 pm

Further details, from Sunderland Echo, 23 Aug 2018.... station called After Dark FM , apparently on 87.7 FM.

The team behind an alleged pirate radio station in Sunderland say they are pressing ahead with plans to get a broadcasting licence.

Northumbria Police, working with Ofcom, executed a warrant at a house in Halstead Square, Pallion, last week.

A 34-year-old man is being dealt with by Ofcom for suspected offences under the Wireless Telegraphy Act 2006.

Police say the station - After Dark FM - is thought to have been used as a source of information for teenagers to organise raves - which were stopped by officers - and gatherings which have led to complaints of anti-social behaviour and disorder.

Sergeant Patrick Scott said: “This was an excellent example of partnership working with Ofcom and the local community.

“We will continue to try to safeguard young people in our area and prevent any disorder which has an adverse effect on local residents.

“My message to the public is clear; it is illegal to operate an unlicensed radio station or use any equipment that may cause interference or have the potential to disrupt the communications of critical services, and we will actively pursue offenders thought to be contravening such laws.”

An Ofcom spokesman said there were ways for smaller stations to run legal radio broadcasts without breaking the law: “Thanks to new technology, we can now offer smaller stations a safe, legal route to air through community radio – without interfering with others who rely on using the airwaves.”

The radio station’s Facebook page contains a statement thanking listeners for their support and urging them to sign an on-line petition to Ofcom.

“Due to certain people wanting to spoil things for the community rather than help it, we have had to temporarily go off air,” it says.

“Our licence application is in with Ofcom but whilst this was going ahead we have been reported and complained about by certain persons.

“And out of these peoples’ selfishness ...we cannot broadcast until Ofcom approves the licence.

“As it is a ‘community licence’ we’d like to ask you, the North East community to sign our petition to be passed on to Ofcom to help speed up and grant the licence and get back on air.”

The petition can be found at https://www.change.org/p/ofcom-help-sec ... fterdarkfm
Peterlee firm Start Energy has sponsored the station during its licence application.

A company spokesman confirmed it would continue to do so: “They have done everything that Ofcom has asked, and we have been paying the fees for them.

“The petition has around 8,0000 signatures to get them back on the air.”

https://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/sun ... -1-9314658

Their Facebook page takes issue with the Echo story.... see link below....

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/afterdarkfm/

SundayGroover
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by SundayGroover » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:27 am

RFI2 wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:38 pm
Sergeant Patrick Scott said: “This was an excellent example of partnership working with Ofcom and the local community.

“My message to the public is clear; it is illegal to operate an unlicensed radio station or use any equipment that may cause interference or have the potential to disrupt the communications of critical services, and we will actively pursue offenders thought to be contravening such laws.”
So public hero number one Sgt. Scott is now policing the radio waves is he? Thought that was Ofcom's job?

tokingmenace
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by tokingmenace » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:14 pm

Thought pirate radio was out of Police jurisdiction, only having to attend raids to keep the peace.

Sound to me like someone grassed on them, so an easy bust for the authorities... just what they like.

This whole article is full of the usual ofcom bullshit, making out all pirate radio is the crime of the century!

:smoke

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:56 am

If the Sunderland operator is on this site, drop me a PM and I can help out with link gear so that he won't get his collar felt again! Operating from home is seldom a good idea!
"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)

nrgkits.nz
Neckmin
Neckmin

Post by nrgkits.nz » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:44 am

Albert H wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:56 am If the Sunderland operator is on this site, drop me a PM and I can help out with link gear so that he won't get his collar felt again! Operating from home is seldom a good idea!
They need the rig concreted in a wall with a decoy box (heated by a lightbulb) for Ofcom to take

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:48 pm

nrgkits.nz wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:44 am
Albert H wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:56 am If the Sunderland operator is on this site, drop me a PM and I can help out with link gear so that he won't get his collar felt again! Operating from home is seldom a good idea!
They need the rig concreted in a wall with a decoy box (heated by a lightbulb) for Ofcom to take
That's the way to do it! The decoy rig also contained a house brick for weight, and a small mains transformer, so the 12V AC left the box up the "aerial" coax. There was also a "link receive input" lead too. Unplugging either lead turned off the real, concealed rig! The decoy was riveted closed to make it too much hassle to open. They disconnected it, the station went off the air - it was "job done" as far as they were concerned.
"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)

RFI2
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by RFI2 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:50 pm

A sort-of update on this story.... from the station's Facebook page :

Wed like to share a little update with you all.

Weve now had an Email through with information that will allow us to get back on the airwaves!
Its a very frustrating and unnecessary complex process.
After a 30 min phone call

Its going to take some money,paperwork, a slight location move, hard work and dedication...

But this move should benefit more of you in the long run.

The only downside of it is its a 8 weeks wait to do this.
This isnt our rules this is the rules of Ofcom and how licencing works.

We will update you as things progress, with photos and work and effort thats achived after being bad mouthed by police and press and show them we care for the community and dont give up so easy!

"You may seize our transmitter and make up antisocial behaviour lies, but you shall never stop....OUR FREDDDOOOMMMMMM!!... we mean licence approval.

MC Spanner
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by MC Spanner » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:49 pm

So they got their application for a community license in and then continued to broadcast as a pirate in the meantime, am I understanding this correctly?

RFI2
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by RFI2 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:04 pm

MC Spanner wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:49 pm So they got their application for a community license in and then continued to broadcast as a pirate in the meantime, am I understanding this correctly?
That's how I understand it...

Frequent Lee
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by Frequent Lee » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:00 pm

There are no licence offerings in their neck of the woods. Talking rubbish.
It was a basic direct from the living room into an eBay Chinese sprig box, nothing more.

RFI2
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by RFI2 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:37 pm

Some follow-up information, extracted from a post on the station's Facebook page on 15 Oct 2018...

- Since taking on the idea of starting up a community radio station. The orginal idea it would be of ... buying and setting up equipment needed to make sure it works 1st (which we done) , then setting up a "Not for profit" charity busniess account (we done with barclays), and then we thought the simple case of sending away a cheque with the apllication form and thats it! All is good...Wrong!

- It turns out that you cant just do the obvious. For community radio, you must 1st have the idea. One that isnt your everyday idea might we add. And register interest that you want a station in your area( for us sunderland covering tyne and wear) this can only be done when "Invitations of interest" are handed out once per year (Nov 17 actually) . And the only way to get these invitations are if your signed up to Ofcoms emails. Which isnt something you do everyday either Also there is no intrustions to do so anywhere on the website. Just a big posts saying " apply here for a community radio licence".

- after our incident [getting raided] which arose from another radio station reporting us as we took over the waves.. and you must admit we did a great job .
All has finally been delt with, we have NOT being stopped from applying, we have had no charges brought to us from Ofcom and there happy for us to apply! But Ofcom have kept the transmitter which will have to be bought again.

- All the equipment seized the [Sunderland Echo report] said was a lie.All the was taken was the transimitter, RDS and 3 Usbs. Which will be now returned.

- Durham was the only place listed in the Northeast for community radio tryouts. Which means we need to relocate, set up the antenna and buy a new transmitter as well as rasie £1800 for not only a £400 apllication fee as first told. There are also another 2 fees on top of that which will only cover us for 28 days trial then we have to re-apply but for a 5 year licence.

They are now appealing for donations. Cant help feeling internet radio might be a better route for them, but their choice of course....

MC Spanner
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by MC Spanner » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:42 am

RFI2 wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:37 pmand then we thought the simple case of sending away a cheque with the apllication form and thats it! All is good...Wrong!
Crikey. I'd love to hear some of their content :lol: