Irish Band Scan

A place to discuss the latest on the airwaves across Ireland, history & everything in-between

Moderator: dancemusicdj

Post Reply
drumandbasshead010
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin
Posts: 269
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:52 am

Re: Irish Band Scan

Post by drumandbasshead010 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:54 pm

I could definitely see Klub FM's listeners listening to Red FM if Klub is not there (or any other similar pirates.) Klub played a lot of the same music as Red, even though Red's audience was obviously already catered for by Red itself. This is not quitte the same as the case of Nonstop 90's where the licensed stations had not much of a reason to complain as their music policies were completely different. Towards the end, there was no significant difference between Klub's and Red's music when Klub's automated system was on, it was only when Klub had a live DJ on (which was not very often during the last few months of broadcasting) that their music was different.
Although I am pretty sure the outside broadcast was not the soul reason for Klub FM being targeted, it surely did not help matters. There are plenty of reasons why the authorities could've closed Klub FM, whether it happened a month or years ago. Klub FM always had a high powered signal and I believe they made a fair profit from advertising revenue, surely that's plenty of reason for the authorities to close Klub down,, if the fact that they were a pirate wasn't enough of a reason?
Of course the authorities know where every station in the country is, it has always made me curious as to why they don't just do a 3-day run of the nation and shut every station down? I don't think there's a single FM pirate making a profit now, surely it would not be difficult for Comreg to rid the airwaves of all pirates within a month (that amount of time being given in case a station comes back quickly with new equipment). I guess it has something to do with the fact that there is no system in place which the pirates can use to apply for a license, so they only take down stations that are interfering with or taking listeners from lajit stations.

dancemusicdj
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin
Posts: 310
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:48 pm

Re: Irish Band Scan

Post by dancemusicdj » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:00 am

drumandbasshead010 wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:54 pm
I could definitely see Klub FM's listeners listening to Red FM if Klub is not there (or any other similar pirates.) Klub played a lot of the same music as Red, even though Red's audience was obviously already catered for by Red itself. This is not quitte the same as the case of Nonstop 90's where the licensed stations had not much of a reason to complain as their music policies were completely different. Towards the end, there was no significant difference between Klub's and Red's music when Klub's automated system was on, it was only when Klub had a live DJ on (which was not very often during the last few months of broadcasting) that their music was different.
I see. that's rather unfortunate as they could have possibly brought something different to the radio had they wanted to, but instead effectively replicated what was existing all ready. Granted it's their station and it's up to them what they play but i believe myself one should stay away from playing the same music that is all ready catered for elsewhere if setting up a pirate. okay, some overlap may happen from time to time. sometimes that simply can't be helped if you are focusing on a genre of music that the odd song may get played on the legals.
drumandbasshead010 wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:54 pm
Although I am pretty sure the outside broadcast was not the soul reason for Klub FM being targeted, it surely did not help matters. There are plenty of reasons why the authorities could've closed Klub FM, whether it happened a month or years ago. Klub FM always had a high powered signal and I believe they made a fair profit from advertising revenue, surely that's plenty of reason for the authorities to close Klub down,, if the fact that they were a pirate wasn't enough of a reason?
Oh absolutely. It could be for any reason.
drumandbasshead010 wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:54 pm
Of course the authorities know where every station in the country is, it has always made me curious as to why they don't just do a 3-day run of the nation and shut every station down? I don't think there's a single FM pirate making a profit now, surely it would not be difficult for Comreg to rid the airwaves of all pirates within a month (that amount of time being given in case a station comes back quickly with new equipment). I guess it has something to do with the fact that there is no system in place which the pirates can use to apply for a license, so they only take down stations that are interfering with or taking listeners from lajit stations.
Admittidly i have wondered that myself. they did it before back in 2003. Not that i would want it to happen, i remember 2003 and the drout for 2/3 days until kiss 94.4 came back on air all to well. Nothing to listen to and online radio wasn't so accessible in those days. I think the most likely reasons they don't do it is resources and funding. the government rightly can't justify spending money on what is essentially a non-issue. I would be surprised if profit even came into the pirate radio game now at this stage.

drumandbasshead010
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin
Posts: 269
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:52 am

Re: Irish Band Scan

Post by drumandbasshead010 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:58 pm

dancemusicdj wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:00 am
drumandbasshead010 wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:54 pm
I could definitely see Klub FM's listeners listening to Red FM if Klub is not there (or any other similar pirates.) Klub played a lot of the same music as Red, even though Red's audience was obviously already catered for by Red itself. This is not quitte the same as the case of Nonstop 90's where the licensed stations had not much of a reason to complain as their music policies were completely different. Towards the end, there was no significant difference between Klub's and Red's music when Klub's automated system was on, it was only when Klub had a live DJ on (which was not very often during the last few months of broadcasting) that their music was different.
I see. that's rather unfortunate as they could have possibly brought something different to the radio had they wanted to, but instead effectively replicated what was existing all ready. Granted it's their station and it's up to them what they play but i believe myself one should stay away from playing the same music that is all ready catered for elsewhere if setting up a pirate. okay, some overlap may happen from time to time. sometimes that simply can't be helped if you are focusing on a genre of music that the odd song may get played on the legals.
drumandbasshead010 wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:54 pm
Although I am pretty sure the outside broadcast was not the soul reason for Klub FM being targeted, it surely did not help matters. There are plenty of reasons why the authorities could've closed Klub FM, whether it happened a month or years ago. Klub FM always had a high powered signal and I believe they made a fair profit from advertising revenue, surely that's plenty of reason for the authorities to close Klub down,, if the fact that they were a pirate wasn't enough of a reason?
Oh absolutely. It could be for any reason.
drumandbasshead010 wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:54 pm
Of course the authorities know where every station in the country is, it has always made me curious as to why they don't just do a 3-day run of the nation and shut every station down? I don't think there's a single FM pirate making a profit now, surely it would not be difficult for Comreg to rid the airwaves of all pirates within a month (that amount of time being given in case a station comes back quickly with new equipment). I guess it has something to do with the fact that there is no system in place which the pirates can use to apply for a license, so they only take down stations that are interfering with or taking listeners from lajit stations.
Admittidly i have wondered that myself. they did it before back in 2003. Not that i would want it to happen, i remember 2003 and the drout for 2/3 days until kiss 94.4 came back on air all to well. Nothing to listen to and online radio wasn't so accessible in those days. I think the most likely reasons they don't do it is resources and funding. the government rightly can't justify spending money on what is essentially a non-issue. I would be surprised if profit even came into the pirate radio game now at this stage.
Very few pirates are making any money now, though there is one that I know of that use the station to advertise a music academy that is linked with the station which probably makes a fair bit of cash. Clever idea, as it's making them a few bob while not taking any revenue from lajit stations because, let's face it, that academy would not be likely to advertise on a licensed station anyway.
Yes Klub, towards the end, were pretty similar to Red, but it had not always been the case. I had a slot for the station at one point when the music policy was more dance-and-r&b orientated rather than the chart station it eventually became. They also had a fair few ex-Kiss and Galaxy FM DJ's when they were in their prime. DJ's became ewer and fewer towards the end though and I could see the end coming even before the authorities came along, although they obviously tried to pick things back up with their outside broadcasts.
As regards to the authorities closing all the pirates, yes it happened in 1988 and 2003 (Black Tuesday.) Most likely anyone posting publically on this forum does not want something like that to happen, it's just rather strange that they don't conduct a similar mission now when there are far fewer pirates than there were back then. I've heard of Comreg taking stations down within 2 to 3 hours on very rare occasions over the last 4 years or so: One station decided to test their broadcasting equipment on either 107.9 or 108.0, and the authorities were at his site within 3 hours because he was interfering with some traffic system in Baldonnel Airport. The other case I heard of, was apparently of some guy who came on in west Dublin making anti-islam rants.
It has been said that most of Comreg's raids are conducted towards the end of the year when they become panicked because they need to justify the funding they get for the next year. I believe this could've been the reason why Rince got hit, though it could've also been a method they were using to get 90's off the air quicker. Who knows?

dancemusicdj
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin
Posts: 310
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:48 pm

Re: Irish Band Scan

Post by dancemusicdj » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:57 pm

Rince got hit by mistake as comreg thought it was 90's site from what i understand. They were actually going for 90s that day and got someone else. Rince are now offline as well so i assume they have shut up shop which is a shame really.

drumandbasshead010
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin
Posts: 269
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:52 am

Re: Irish Band Scan

Post by drumandbasshead010 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:21 pm

dancemusicdj wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:57 pm
Rince got hit by mistake as comreg thought it was 90's site from what i understand. They were actually going for 90s that day and got someone else. Rince are now offline as well so i assume they have shut up shop which is a shame really.

It's apparently so easy now to detect/find stations now that Comreg raided the wrong site? That's hilarious.

dancemusicdj
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin
Posts: 310
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:48 pm

Re: Irish Band Scan

Post by dancemusicdj » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:06 pm

drumandbasshead010 wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:21 pm
dancemusicdj wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:57 pm
Rince got hit by mistake as comreg thought it was 90's site from what i understand. They were actually going for 90s that day and got someone else. Rince are now offline as well so i assume they have shut up shop which is a shame really.

It's apparently so easy now to detect/find stations now that Comreg raided the wrong site? That's hilarious.
Indeed.

drumandbasshead010
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin
Posts: 269
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:52 am

Re: Irish Band Scan

Post by drumandbasshead010 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:53 pm

I personally think no matter what licenses the BAI offer/advertise dance music belongs to the pirates. Look at Spin1038 for example. Weren't they given what was called the 'dance' license? Look at them now, just another youth station like Beat, iRadio etc. Any attempt the BAI make to give out a dance license will end up nowhere because most likely the station will be forced to play all commercial dance and completely ignore the underground styles, or become another youth station like Spin did.

dancemusicdj
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin
Posts: 310
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:48 pm

Re: Irish Band Scan

Post by dancemusicdj » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:22 pm

drumandbasshead010 wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:53 pm
I personally think no matter what licenses the BAI offer/advertise dance music belongs to the pirates. Look at Spin1038 for example. Weren't they given what was called the 'dance' license? Look at them now, just another youth station like Beat, iRadio etc. Any attempt the BAI make to give out a dance license will end up nowhere because most likely the station will be forced to play all commercial dance and completely ignore the underground styles, or become another youth station like Spin did.
spin was licenced to cater to the audience younger then fm104 and 98 fm. The licence was known as and assumed to be by many including me to have been a dance licence when awarded, but actually it isn't, but a youth licence like the others.
There was no dance licence. I agree it is best to leave dance music to the pirates and online, unless the BAI go down the route of licencing more community of interest stations. I can imagine a station like power fm on the radio right now. Their temp licence back around 2010 was rather successful and hugely received i believe. They have been on the go in various forms since 1992 and play everything likely to be covered by a pirate. Or someone like opentempo in waterford if they were interested in such a licence if it existed. won't happen though as the BAI are only interested in protectionism rather then improving listening choice.

drumandbasshead010
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin
Posts: 269
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:52 am

Re: Irish Band Scan

Post by drumandbasshead010 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:36 pm

Yeah Opentempo are great, though I think they, again, are better off to stay pirate. Opentempo are sounding excellent as they are, and I do not think getting a license would be a positive step for them. They are better off as they are, serving the community de-regulated. It would be just like the BAI to ruin a good station like Opentempo. Power FM would do well with a community of interest license yes, unfortunately they haven't been streaming live online for a good few months now, just the odd Mixcloud show, would not expect them to return at this stage.
Speaking of returning stations, can anyone shed some light on the current situation in Cork? I know Klub are gone, but have heard that Newstalk have a new TX on 106.4FM covering northwest Cork. This surely means that Hazard, and (maybe) Caroline, will have had to move frequency or go off air completely. Anyone know what the situation is?

dancemusicdj
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin
Posts: 310
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:48 pm

Re: Irish Band Scan

Post by dancemusicdj » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:24 pm

Yes that's right power are only doing chew.tv the odd time now. I believe they were to be moving studio so i wonder if that is anything to do with that.
I think cork just has cityview and DHR on air now. Caroline only relayed other stations and Hazard was hardly on air anyway i believe.

drumandbasshead010
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin
Posts: 269
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:52 am

Re: Irish Band Scan

Post by drumandbasshead010 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:31 pm

As has been stated before here, Hazard is (or was) on air 24/7. Caroline had their own programmes on when I checked on 27/12/16 anyway.

dancemusicdj
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin
Posts: 310
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:48 pm

Re: Irish Band Scan

Post by dancemusicdj » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:07 pm

Thanks. I always thought caroline never or rarely caried live programing but good to know they did at least.

drumandbasshead010
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin
Posts: 269
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:52 am

Re: Irish Band Scan

Post by drumandbasshead010 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:24 pm

You are right in that yes they did relay programmes from time to time, but outside of that, Caroline always had an odd, but varied playlist. It could go from rock, to dance, to pop, to R&B etc. It always reminded me of listening to an iPod on shuffle. Speaking of which, have you ever picked up one of those low-powered iTrip transmitters usually on 88.0 or so? They're basically these little adapters (transmitters) that plug into a phone or iPod and rebroadcast the signal to a nearby radio. If you're in an ajacent car to one running an iTrip and on the same frequency where there is one broadcasting, you can receive the Trip. The weirdest things have been heard!

dancemusicdj
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin
Posts: 310
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:48 pm

Re: Irish Band Scan

Post by dancemusicdj » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:35 pm

I don't have access to anything that receives fm now as my radio listening is online only, but when i did i never picked up any of those transmitters. I'm not sure if they were very common back when i last had a radio tbh.

drumandbasshead010
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin
Posts: 269
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:52 am

Re: Irish Band Scan

Post by drumandbasshead010 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:16 pm

Fair enough. Most of my own radio listening is online now also, I normally only listen to FM when a pirate is recievable.

dancemusicdj
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin
Posts: 310
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:48 pm

Re: Irish Band Scan

Post by dancemusicdj » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:47 am

Dublin. A new station called trax has been on 107.1 since a couple of days ago. the station plays 90s dance. Info will be in the next update.

drumandbasshead010
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin
Posts: 269
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:52 am

Re: Irish Band Scan

Post by drumandbasshead010 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:14 pm

Do you know if it covers the whole city and/or county, or a low power outfit? Wonder if it's the return of Rince?

dancemusicdj
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin
Posts: 310
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:48 pm

Re: Irish Band Scan

Post by dancemusicdj » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:26 pm

drumandbasshead010 wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:14 pm
Do you know if it covers the whole city and/or county, or a low power outfit? Wonder if it's the return of Rince?
I don't know it's coverage as i'm not in dublin. I don't know if it is a rince return or someone else.

drumandbasshead010
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin
Posts: 269
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:52 am

Re: Irish Band Scan

Post by drumandbasshead010 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:03 pm


drumandbasshead010
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin
Posts: 269
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:52 am

Re: Irish Band Scan

Post by drumandbasshead010 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:04 pm

A scan I conducted in Cork today revealed a new station called Vibe FM on 87.8. Pretty good signal in the city.
Caroline are back on air on 106.7FM.
DHR was on 104.9 as usual, and although I did not pick up Cityview on 97.6 I would assume they will be back soon.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest