First shutdown

Discuss radio from around the world. FM/DAB/AM/SW ...whatever the wavelength!
pjeva
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

First shutdown

Post by pjeva » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:31 pm

Hello friends! About an hour ago, my pirate station has been shut down by Serbian regulatory agency for electronic communications (our version of OFCOM).
It was totally new experience. Inspector called on our phone and kindly asked us to turn off transmitter and link while he was standing below antenna mast. We turned transmitter off (while watching him through studio window) after 10 minutes, and called him back. Guy said: "Many thanks for cooperation. Agency will arrange another control of that frequency in randomly chosen moment, please do not turn it on again as you could face very high penalties and law charges. Thanks, and goodbye!"
There was no raid of equipment and internet stream is still on. He also provided his email to contact him so he can explain us what are consequences of illegal broadcasting and how to try to legalize it!

:shock:

alfaeire
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Re: First shutdown

Post by alfaeire » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:34 pm

how long were you guys running for?

pjeva
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by pjeva » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:42 pm

For full nine months :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ofcomhater
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by ofcomhater » Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:09 pm

Thats a good damm run. So what you gonna do switch back on or have a cooling off period.

pjeva
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by pjeva » Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:47 pm

There are few possibilites. First, we just turn back on, which is not so good because guy told us that they will perform check up on us in next period. This way, we will face penalties (about 10000£). Next option, we change location and frequency. This takes them back to beginning as we are then some other radio in eyes of law. Third option and the one we will choose probably, is that we apply for local licence. For this, you need to know someone in agency and in government who will push this for you...
We are still checking options. Board of directors is having meeting tonight :-)

pjeva
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by pjeva » Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:53 pm

By the way, they reported that transmitter (made by me!!!) had output of about 300w (it is actually 280) and no measurable harmonics or in-band spurs at the moment of control. This is good for us because no one can make complain to court that had looses because of interference ;-)

ofcomhater
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by ofcomhater » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:04 pm

Me personally I would switch back on. Don't no the law over there.From what they said to u may be scared tactics.As you most probably no over here you get hit normally within 24hrs stations are back on. Keep us informed would really like to no the outcome.

pjeva
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by pjeva » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:45 pm

No scare tactics. Here you can get every information within few hours. Currently, government asked for spectrum clearout because of digitalization of television and shutting down of analog tv transmissions. In a few months, nobody will give a shit about pirate fm stations. Until then, everybody will be processed no matter what. So, as application for licence is planned, it would not be a good idea to be on air again. Also, beside cash penalty, we all get 6 months to 1 year in prison if we are caught again. I will keep you informed about outcome...

pjeva
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by pjeva » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:54 pm

New event! Got a mail from regulatory agency. It says:

Respected Mr. xxxxx,
First of all, thank you for your cooperation. Please do not continue illegal broadcasting.
Give us a call and we will arrange a meeting so we can put you in process of obtaining all necesery licences for broadcast.

Will keep you informed further...

ofcomhater
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by ofcomhater » Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:30 pm

They move fast dont they whats the time scale of them getting down the legal route.Also whats the price of going legal.

pjeva
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by pjeva » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:36 pm

Can be a year, but i think you get temporary licence once you send all paperwork. Regarding price, depends on type of licence. For town wide coverage (about 1kw of power) it is about 60000£ per year. For local, with power about 100w, it is few thousand (lets say 5000) per year.

Mr F
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by Mr F » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:54 am

Pretty decent of them to just politely ask you to switch it off to begin with. They've given you a fair chance at that point, also encouraging you, even helping you to go legit is pretty proactive and forward thinking.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

pjeva
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by pjeva » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:57 pm

Think they are trying new approach. First, by the law, if i just change frequency and location, it resets whole process to beginning. And leaves them with nothing. This way, they may have some income if they issue licence to local station. Also, they have too much trouble getting revenue from legal stations operating at the moment...

sinus trouble
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by sinus trouble » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:17 pm

Lol like it Mr Pjeva!! Rattling the authorities cages over seas!! :D
What does the licensing route entail?? In the uk licencing means that you are controlled!! you still have to pay and they choose what you play? do you really want to be thier puppet??
I am as stupid as I look! :|

sinus trouble
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by sinus trouble » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:41 pm

But yeah thats what pisses me off about the uk justice system!!
putting a clean rig up and playing tunes is classed as "Organised Crime" what a f*cking joke!!
I am as stupid as I look! :|

pjeva
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by pjeva » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:06 am

Hhahahahaha (this is "lol" in Serbia [WINKING FACE]). There is no control what you will play, but there is some things you cannot do. Like anti-government speech.
By the way, in next two days we will have visit and meeting with regulatory agency representatives. For now, we know that one of conditions for licence is that we must announce events that are organized in this part of town (cultural events, concerts etc.). This is something we actually wanted to do, but no one wanted to give official information to pirate station...

pjeva
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by pjeva » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:34 pm

Update
Today, we had check up visit from officials to confirm that our transmitter is still off. Also, we got official report that since we are playing fair, there will be no criminal charges or penalties against us. Also, we started process of licensing, so we expect temporary papers soon.

thewisepranker
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by thewisepranker » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:21 pm

Forgive my ignorance - what are the government like in Serbia? It's not really something I can research. I did try but got mixed results.
For example, the UK government like to appear principled and with great big brass bollocks, like they were when "we" were invading everyone, however the reality is that they're a bunch of posh toffs that are scared of their own shadows, programmed to just do as they say. On the contrary, when it comes to Ofcom, well, they don't fuck about. Hence my question, as the agency you have encountered are no doubt government driven.

pjeva
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by pjeva » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:46 pm

Until 2006. you could get a licence with just request. This led to 200+ stations with some sort of licence in a city with 2.000.000 people. Then, new law come into force and there was major shut down with raids. Only 11 stations left. So after that, government was dedicated to shut down pirates until last year. Meanwhile with government changes, law has changed and became inefficient. Now you cannot be charged for pirate radio. You can be charged for crimes commited with use of pirate radio (like voting frauds, tax frauds...). Anyhow, we were turned off because of complain from legal station.
Currently, most of legals are struggling with finances, so there is no enough income to the agency. Agency is under government hat, but they finance themselves from licences and penalties to legal stations. I think it is the main reason for loosened process of licencing. Also, on country basis, there is maybe 10 pirate stations, so it is not a big deal.

To get a long story short, here is how this area is regulated here.

1. Ministry - regulates broadcast law and provides action requests to RATEL (finding of broadcast sites, measurements of rf fields). When they come to you, there is one inspector from ministry and one technician from RATEL.
2. RATEL - agency similar to your OFCOM but they cannot act by themselves. They perform band scans, measurements, make frequency plans, issue licences and report to ministry.
3. REM - Regulatory agency for Electronic Media, provides control of broadcaster behaviour, issues their opinion to RATEL should somebody get a licence and removes licences as necessary.

2. and 3. have their own financing (as described above) but both are under government.

Skywaver
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by Skywaver » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:20 am

I'm curious as to what frequency you was occupying for the last 9 months?