Rinse fm

Discuss all things relating to the busy London Pirate Radio scene.
famefm
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Rinse fm

Post by famefm » Sat May 12, 2018 3:26 am

It's been of the air for 3 days now it's a legal station so how come?

cheese ranger
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Re: Rinse fm

Post by cheese ranger » Sat May 12, 2018 7:28 pm

Upgrades apparently

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

famefm
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by famefm » Sat May 12, 2018 8:08 pm

It's not the first time how long do you think it's going to be off?

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Fri May 18, 2018 3:08 am

famefm wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 8:08 pm It's not the first time how long do you think it's going to be off?
Who cares? They've got about 3 listeners.
"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)

wazza

Post by wazza » Fri May 18, 2018 6:55 am

not true...

cheese ranger
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by cheese ranger » Fri May 18, 2018 7:24 am

156.6k followers on Tunein

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

famefm
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by famefm » Fri May 18, 2018 11:23 am

Well its certainly better than the 107.3 station and radio 1 extra

FMVETERAN
ne guy
ne guy

Post by FMVETERAN » Fri May 18, 2018 2:44 pm

Albert H wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 3:08 am
famefm wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 8:08 pm It's not the first time how long do you think it's going to be off?
Let's be honest Albert. Apart from being knowledgeable about some radio broadcasting you're nothing more than a hater. !

chesney79
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by chesney79 » Fri May 18, 2018 2:54 pm

Rinse has done well in my eyes!! Not sure why you have so much hate for them

famefm
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by famefm » Fri May 18, 2018 3:27 pm

Agreed I wrote in an earlier post how well they were putting out a far superior service to the other community stations like the awful beat 1036 and reprezent but the post was lost along with the 3 months of every thing on radio necks after the recent hacking of the website

Casual
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by Casual » Fri May 18, 2018 8:07 pm

FMVETERAN wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 2:44 pm
Let's be honest Albert. Apart from being knowledgeable about some radio broadcasting you're nothing more than a hater. !
I think he only likes anything that plays crusty rock music from the 70's/80's! - Albert's definitely not a Rinse kinda guy! 😂😂😂

Roobru
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by Roobru » Sat May 19, 2018 1:47 pm

Casual wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 8:07 pm
FMVETERAN wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 2:44 pm

I think he only likes anything that plays crusty rock music from the 70's/80's! - Albert's definitely not a Rinse kinda guy! 😂😂😂
Bit of a shame really, because some of his stories and knowledge is rather interesting. Shame his negativity make him look like a washed up old fool.

famefm
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by famefm » Sat May 19, 2018 4:17 pm

Yes on this occasion I agree because rinse is just about the only station that kept it's promise

drumandbasshead010
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by drumandbasshead010 » Sat May 19, 2018 6:06 pm

Albert has always had a negative attitude towards legal community radio for some reason.

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Sun May 20, 2018 1:25 am

I gave Rinse an extended listen (on line) the other day. Their music policy is pretty narrow, but they're much better than they used to be. They're supposed to be a "Community Of Interest" station, and I think that they (mostly) manage that. Musically not my taste (I'm going through a treasured pile of old Stax singles right now, compiling a programme), but Rinse are doing better than most of their type.
"Why is my rig humming?"
;)

famefm
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by famefm » Sun May 20, 2018 3:06 am

I think the management team on rinse are late 30s average age and reprezent are saying they are a youth station and is a very tedious listen for most other age groups but good to see Albert post hard to believe it's just a few days after his 3 listener post just a few days ago

zoostorm
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by zoostorm » Mon May 21, 2018 12:45 pm

Rinse probably has 3 listeners on FM as the current location of the tx is shite.

It however has been a success story for an underground dance/urban station broadcasting legally. Never got why Albert hates so much on the dance pirates going legal, especially when there are at least two stations that have successfully transferred to going straight.

famefm
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by famefm » Mon May 21, 2018 4:59 pm

I managed to pick up 106.8 in Windsor Great Park are you saying it is not not very high up?

famefm
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by famefm » Mon May 21, 2018 5:01 pm

What is the other decent dance pirate you mean that has a licence I can't think of any more

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Tue May 22, 2018 7:49 pm

famefm wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 5:01 pm What is the other decent dance pirate you mean that has a licence I can't think of any more
The obvious one - way back - was Kiss.... before they sold out! Gordon and the lads sold the name, took the money, and lost every last shred of credibility they ever had. Shame really, because they could have been a very good station, but it wasn't to be because the financial pressure was too great and they had to let it go.

Choice also had a pirate heritage, but mentioning the word "pirate" around their studio of offices would get you thrown out!

Most people don't realise that the mentality of a pirate is completely different to that of a legal operator. The better pirates have achieved remarkable things with very limited resources and with the constant threat of Post Office, DTI, then OFCOM action against them. There were amendments to laws in an effort to stamp them out. There were the threats of long prison sentences and unlimited fines, but the pirates were always there. We engineers used ever more cunning methods to avoid the authorities. We used tricks like spread-spectrum digital microwave links to prevent OFCOM even knowing that a link existed (a trick developed for military purposes!) and we used multiple transmitters phase-locked to each other feeding directional aerials to confuse their Direction Finding gear whilst giving a good signal to the listeners.

We added RDS, stereo, multiple-hop links, redundant transmitters that could be switched on and off remotely when they got too close, with back-up sites that would maintain the coverage whilst they went looking for a transmitter that had just switched off and was concreted inside a wall..... We gave them sacrificial dummy transmitters, and we made them sick with Shigella.... Those poor DTI and OFCOM guys didn't know what had hit them.

We had a lot of fun doing it too. It was a real rush to fool Eric into taking away a box containing a light bulb (to warm it up) and a couple of housebricks (to make it credibly heavy), convinced that it was a transmitter.

It was really funny seeing Eric Gotts' and Brian Holder's faces when they read the message on the flag on top of the Starpoint colinear aerial through binoculars ("Fuck Off Gotts"). :lol:

It was even funnier seeing them take down all the aerials down Church Road, Crystal Palace with a gigantic mobile crane - hired for the job at huge expense (I co-owned the company that hired them the crane! We made certain that it was very expensive!). Worst of all for them - all the stations that they thought they were disabling were back on within minutes from other sites! :shock:

These days - unfortunately - the fun has gone out of it. I'm sure that some of the kids doing it today enjoy themselves, but it's not like the fun we had in the 70s, 80s and 90s.

The ex-pirates have all found that the Real-World™ pressures of operating a station are completely different from their pirate days. They'll have shareholders to satisfy, OFCOM to appease, and all manner of pressure groups objecting to their content! It's almost like having a Real Job!
"Why is my rig humming?"
;)