40 years ago

A place to discuss the latest on the airwaves across Ireland, history & everything in-between.

Moderator: dancemusicdj

Persona Non Grata
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

40 years ago

Post by Persona Non Grata » Fri May 19, 2023 8:16 pm

Anyone else here old enough to remember the big raids of 1983 ?

Lived (well) outside Dublin at the time but could hear Nova (on AM) on a clear day. however my local station (at the time) was one of the stations which "voluntary" closed in response to the raids and never made it back on air.

yellowbeard
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Re: 40 years ago

Post by yellowbeard » Fri May 19, 2023 8:51 pm

They have extensive audio files here - maybe even your local station:
https://pirate.ie/archive/tags/1983-raids/
I was sitting on the back of the pier in Dun Laoghaire smoking dope listening to the Radio Nova closedown. Dublin bay stretches out from left to right for about 5 or 6 miles with Dublin city centre furthest away straight across the water. At 6PM when the station closed down they wanted everyone to honk their car horns, you could hear the honking pan around the bay getting louder as it went. The public support was impressive. It was a sad day, but the weather was nice and the dope was strong...

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Sun May 21, 2023 7:36 pm

Hi YB - on that day, after the closedown, I was up in the Dublin Mountains, near Johnny Fox's taking down a link repeater! I remember the racket at 6pm!
"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)

eiradioguy
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by eiradioguy » Wed May 24, 2023 11:04 pm

I remember the stations shutting down, especially Sunshine Radio which finished with a speech from Robbie Dale (Robbie Robinson) followed by Bridge over troubled waters. A sad day indeed. And after the fuss, a crappy mono signal with characteristically dreadful audio popped up.... radio dublin stayed under the radar awhile but kept the flag flying.

Sadly the FM and MW dial are dead of pirate activity during the week but a hardy few pop up in Dublin on the weekends: Retro 92fm on Sundays, 90s network on 98.4fm, Energy on 1440am and sometimes 99.5fm :tup

87to108
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by 87to108 » Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:20 pm

eiradioguy wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 11:04 pm I remember the stations shutting down, especially Sunshine Radio which finished with a speech from Robbie Dale (Robbie Robinson) followed by Bridge over troubled waters. A sad day indeed. And after the fuss, a crappy mono signal with characteristically dreadful audio popped up.... radio dublin stayed under the radar awhile but kept the flag flying.
Is that the 1988 closedowns, rather than the 1983 raids?
eiradioguy wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 11:04 pma hardy few pop up in Dublin on the weekends: Retro 92fm on Sundays, 90s network on 98.4fm, Energy on 1440am and sometimes 99.5fm :tup
There is a 2nd weekend AM operation in Dublin too on 1206 kHz (had previously been on other frequencies, but went on 1206 after Absolute's 1215 closed) , I don't think it has been on in recent weekends though, its not on every weekend.