$2 million threats from the FCC

Discuss radio from around the world. FM/DAB/AM/SW ...whatever the wavelength!
RingwayManchester
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

$2 million threats from the FCC

Post by RingwayManchester » Sun Jan 15, 2023 7:53 pm

Bit of insight from a recent trip to NYC with some audio snippets thrown in for good measure

$2 Million Fines For New York City Radio Pirates

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Re: $2 million threats from the FCC

Post by Albert H » Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:41 am

:stop If those clowns are using those A****f pieces of junk :poo , it's no wonder that they're getting seriously fined! Planes will fall!!!
"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)

XXL
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by XXL » Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:07 pm

cant be any worse than gear from london in the 90s

mpx
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by mpx » Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:12 pm

Quite a lot of the Chinese stuff makes it's way to NYC, most of which aren't particularly clean

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:23 am

My friend in NYC runs a nice little 500W box that he bought from the Netherlands. Before he connected an aerial, he made sure that it was entirely clean and stable. Apart from running at just over 600 Watts, it conformed to the specification he expected. He then tried out his aerial with a 1 Watt exciter test rig, and adjusted it for best match (better than 1.1 : 1, with a gain of 6.2 dBd). He got a stereo coder and limiter from me, and the whole thing sounds superb on the air. He's been running it most weekends for several months.

The other stations nearby all want to find out how he's got such a huge signal!
"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)

radionortheast
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by radionortheast » Thu Aug 17, 2023 2:40 pm

I’ve listened on the pirate radio roadmap, they do sound alot like the stations I used to hear on a weekend like Passion Radio. Reguarding interference someone was complaining about interference to aircraft on another group, they’ll problalby go after them all, if one is interfering. Like with Passion they went after the guy using the property, it was interesting, sounds like they cover a neightbourhood because of all the skyscapers, were the community is based. :shock:
I’ve guessing the way licenced stations cover the area is alot like here, they use lots of relays with the hills here, the band is saturated because of it, i’ve heard it else were that they cover London with just one frequency with it been flat, even pirates could do this. I’m always trying to understand the radio situation, there is difference between the north and south., specially London. I suppose it is interesting in the age of streaming the stations there are still using fm to reach audience, analogue broadcasting is in decline across the board. Even get videos lately on youtube articles about them giving up on am over there..part 15 will keep it alive in mini way.