BBC DJ leaves to join community radio

Discuss UK FM/DAB/AM/SW licensed stations here.
radionortheast
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

BBC DJ leaves to join community radio

Post by radionortheast » Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:21 am

This was an interesting one, a dj has moved across to be on a community radio station, I was wondering are dj's at community stations paid? i'm trying to find out what going on, the whole picture, i've watching the whole situation very closely.
Obviously there were a lot of people left over from Minster fm it did have a bigger coverage than other local radio stations.

https://radiotoday.co.uk/2023/08/former ... his%20year.

This is the only info i'm be able to find, thought it is 9 years old now
https://forums.digitalspy.com/discussio ... presenters

famefm
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Re: BBC DJ leaves to join community radio

Post by famefm » Thu Aug 17, 2023 2:36 pm

Community djs aren't usually paid anything

LeeCavanagh
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by LeeCavanagh » Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:40 pm

There are some paid positions in community radio, for instance those running the stations where being a dj is merely part of the job, also sales positions for those who provide advertising. Other than that it would be a strange move without other sources of income but clearly he knows his own position and wanted to do this so I hope it works out.
Sony ST 920 QS

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Sat Aug 26, 2023 11:24 pm

Pretty much nobody gets paid in Community Radio in this country. The OFCOM rules make it impossible to make any kind of real profit, so most of them run at a considerable loss, and rely on volunteer presenters. That's why most of them are amateur rubbish.

They all start with lofty ambitions to make quality radio and "serve their audience", but quickly collapse in to the worst kind of Davy Doubledecks nonsense, when the realities of the financing become obvious.
"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)

radionortheast
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by radionortheast » Sun Sep 10, 2023 1:25 pm

I did feel quite a lot of spin was going on with this, its quite hard to know whats going on, community radio has gone so far away from the original idea, now it is seen as the replacement to local radio, to me it baffles me, when local radio didn't work, to do the same thing as a hobby, its their money. I suppose any station can just exaggerate listeners figures, don't think rajar is available, I know theres been cases of stations doing it, they can say anything.