Penistone fm on 2 freqs.

Discuss UK FM/DAB/AM/SW licensed stations here.
pirateaddict
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Penistone fm on 2 freqs.

Post by pirateaddict » Fri Aug 18, 2023 3:25 pm

Penistone fm near Sheffield usually broadcasts on 95.7 but recently I've been getting it on 97.7fm just 1 away from ldc radio in Leeds.. Now am i right in thinking that the 97.7 is a sprog and are Penistone in breach of licence conditions if they shouldn't be on that frequency at all?

yellowbeard
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Re: Penistone fm on 2 freqs.

Post by yellowbeard » Fri Aug 18, 2023 5:26 pm

These guys have them listed for the 2 frequencies:
https://fmscan.org/net.php?m=s&pxf=Penistone+FM
97.7 1KW from Stocksbridge
95.7 50 Watts from Hoylandswaine

manvers massive
ne guy
ne guy

Post by manvers massive » Sun Aug 20, 2023 2:27 pm

Just confirming it is a new frequency for Stocksbridge Valley. They applied to OFCOM to extend coverage, TX came on August 1st.

It ain't a Kilowatt though!

pirateaddict
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by pirateaddict » Sun Aug 20, 2023 3:32 pm

Ok. Thanks for that... Yeah it's deffo not 1 kW as that would be a bit overkill for Stocksbridge.. (I used to visit the friendship inn in the 80's as my nan worked there for a man called Alec) Probably 1 or 10 watts as i think someone missed some decimal points out on that link yellowbeard posted.. Cheers!

radionortheast
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by radionortheast » Sun Sep 10, 2023 1:14 pm

I read on another forum someone was driving around with a tef radio could hardly get a signal from it. I don’t know the process they seem to just grant the relays now, anywhere miles outside the area, its gone way beyond the 2mile area these stations were originally meant to cover. In this case don’t think you could say their extending their range beyond the area, the 95.7 signal covers half of Yorkshire, its been criticized else were for been quite boring and formulaic, not really doing anything that local radio didn’t do, I suppose it is another signal to look out for, not heard anything here from it.

pirateaddict
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by pirateaddict » Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:12 pm

Oh yes, it's boring.. I remember fresh Leeds having to move down 1 from 95.6 to 95.5 because of this bag o'wank years ago! 👍

radionortheast
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by radionortheast » Thu Oct 05, 2023 2:40 pm

They moaned about fresh effecting their coverage, I suppose if penistone is a hilly place it problalby clear line sight down into Leeds would of picked up fresh very clearly, when it had a good signal back in 2005..I do miss hearing Fresh the other pirates, the adverts for coffee on passion radio, the signals would vary would make it more interesting. You can pick up Fresh on dab, a few weeks ago, (not transmitting any audio right now ) similar when it was a pirate as you hold radio in one place, when it used to be on fm you used to hear radio Lancashire in most places here, you could hear Penistone everywhere. I don’t know enough about ssdab, don’t know if the signals will carry that far, they could go on the sheffield ssdab, think it costs to be on something out of area?