Looking for Hotair TX35FM info

Everything technical about radio can be discussed here, whether it's transmitting or receiving. Guides, charts, diagrams, etc. are all welcome.
Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Re: Looking for Hotair TX35FM info

Post by Albert H » Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:10 pm

It's quite simple:

If you consider The percentage of the output frequency that 75kHz deviation represents against (say) 88MHz, and then the percentage of 107 MHz it is, you'll see that it's less at 107 MHz. Also, the modulation sensitivity of the varicap isn't entirely linear, so if you're trying to use one varicap for both tuning and for the modulation, you'll find that the audio level required for 75kHz deviation will change quite a bit....

There's a further problem with the single varicap approach - BW tried to get their exciter to voltage tune right across the band with a voltage swing of about 10V. This meant that 75kHz deviation needed signal levels in the low millivolts - no wonder that they always had hum problems!

There are further problems with the "at frequency, single varicap" approach, including RF feedback from the PA to the oscillator (causing hum and instability). That's why I always preferred a half (or lower) frequency oscillator, multiplied to the required output frequency. I also always used a separate modulation varicap, coupled to the oscillator with its own low value capacitor. This allowed me to move the modulation varicap bias voltage to the most linear part of its characteristic (minimising deviation distortion), and have a sensible modulation sensitivity (typically a few Volts p-p for 37.5kHz swing - the deviation would be multiplied by the frequency multiplication in the exciter).

One experimental exciter I have here has what amounts to an FM receiver "listening" to the modulation. I take the demodulated audio into a measurement circuit, and I can accurately measure the actual deviation. I can use the derived deviation value to control a peak limiter, to completely eliminate the possibility of over-modulation, and can also drive a real deviation meter on the front panel!
"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)

radium98
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by radium98 » Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:36 pm

:)

Kdw32
ne guy
ne guy

Post by Kdw32 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:34 pm

Small update. She works perfectly just been testing her out with a decent dummy load and a Sony radio. Got a thunderpole as well but not trimmed whips or anything yet. Getting a nice clean sound with only a Bluetooth dongle stereo mini jack to mono jack convertor and sending a signal off the phone. I have a load of random p.a outboard for future use. It does not take that long to warm up 10 mins maybe. Next is having the pll PCB done.

Thank you every one for helping me with getting this far. I'm sure I'll be back asking stupid questions again ;)

Kdw32
ne guy
ne guy

Post by Kdw32 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:48 pm

Frequent Lee wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:40 am Steve who designed and built these is active in a group on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1106378 ... ?ref=share

He will be happy to see this is out in the wild again and will probably be prepared to answer any questions you have about it.
:tup thank you so much for the link. ;)