Cheap, low-power autonomous rig. Thoughts?

Everything technical about radio can be discussed here, whether it's transmitting or receiving. Guides, charts, diagrams, etc. are all welcome.
BlackBeard
ne guy
ne guy

Cheap, low-power autonomous rig. Thoughts?

Post by BlackBeard » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:22 pm

Some months ago I discovered this project on YouTube: (pirate radio throwie).
The idea was quite nice: Using the Raspberry Pi Zero (10€ here) and a power bank to broadcast a low-power signal including RDS + Stereo. Major problem: The absolutely bad signal quality (sprogs etc.).

Nevertheless I was curious if it would be possible to basically do the same thing with a better and stronger signal. This would be a self-made "pocket FM" if you remember that project (http://www.pocket-fm.com/). I would pre-record the broadcasts and just play them back.

Components:
Transmitter: https://dutchrfshop.nl/en/diy-kits-pcb- ... -watt.html => one of the dutch ones

Power supply: A solar-powered power bank with 24000mAh. Generates 1w per hour (5V 200mAh). But this won't be enough to feed the transmitter probably. Costs 35€. Additionally some kind of power adatper for the transmitter would be necessary.

Audio signal + MPX generator: Raspberry PI zero (10€)

Antenna: Something small and portable. Didn't think about this yet.

I'd then just deploy that package on a high tower here and let it there until the power bank would be empty ;)

Any thoughts?

SD-E1102
Neckmin
Neckmin

Re: Cheap, low-power autonomous rig. Thoughts?

Post by SD-E1102 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:34 pm

Whilst you might still get sprogs you could get one to those 1w or 5w rigs fron China. Some of them come with rubber duck style antennas. With power I would stick with permanent power if possible.
Pirate Radio's not a problem, it's a solution

nrgkits.nz
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by nrgkits.nz » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:19 am

It's using digital synthesis, hence the rubbish it generates - don't amplify it. Albert has posted some really good schematics on here over time, use one of those and you'll have a clean output.

Maximus
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by Maximus » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:51 am

Doesn’t look much like a bomb!?