Do any London stations use a transmitter site other than a tower block?

Discuss all things relating to the busy London Pirate Radio scene.
g33ky
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Do any London stations use a transmitter site other than a tower block?

Post by g33ky » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:30 pm

I think one of the reason London has so many stations compared to other parts of the country and other countries is due to the amount of tower blocks available to put rigs on, but do any pirates/ex-pirates use something else as a site? I'd imagine other sites are more secure and harder to get a TX on top of.
FM for lyfe!

teckniqs
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Re: Do any London stations use a transmitter site other than a tower block?

Post by teckniqs » Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:26 am

"Do any London stations use a transmitter site other than a tower block?"

....Yes

g33ky
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by g33ky » Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:33 am

teckniqs wrote: ↑Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:26 am "Do any London stations use a transmitter site other than a tower block?"

....Yes
I was looking for examples, obviously not every single one uses a block.
FM for lyfe!

trancetechnic
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by trancetechnic » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:10 am

g33ky wrote: ↑Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:30 pm I think one of the reason London has so many stations compared to other parts of the country and other countries is due to the amount of tower blocks available to put rigs on, but do any pirates/ex-pirates use something else as a site? I'd imagine other sites are more secure and harder to get a TX on top of.

Lot's of tower blocks here in Glasgow But currently not one 24.7 (pirate) station on the air. I do recall though a pirate station here in Glasgow intended to broadcast 24/7 on 87.9MHz back in 1993 They only lasted 5 days!. They were taken off the air by the DTI and never returned.

I believe the station were interfering with 'taxi radio' hence the haste bust !
:tup

Sparki
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by Sparki » Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:50 pm

Here in the South East there is quite an array of tower blocks to put an aerial on but I have heard some have paid farmers money to have it on something in the field but quite high up whether true or what I don't know but you hear stories dont you. I heard from a friend that someone put an aerial up a big hill in Gillingham but it didnt last long and was taken down. Dont know the station name but it got out pretty good round Medway at the time, also I always though at the top of Chatham Hill is a good place to put an aerial maybe on someones house right at the top of them hilly roads as you can see for miles over Medway from there too.

biggiedan
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by biggiedan » Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:36 pm

I remember a while ago someone posted on here about a rig on some water tank tower or something, and when the maintenance guy turned up at the site and went up the tower he clocked the rig but thought it was a bomb and called police. It was in some local paper if i remember correctly.

Effemm
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by Effemm » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:24 pm

Mate of a mate was in a Tower crane on sites in London πŸ‘πŸ»
Went out across the capital nicely
Use yr head & u can easily get up high

teckniqs
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by teckniqs » Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:14 am

Tower blocks in London are becoming harder and harder to access these days so many stations in (for example) the north and north east of London are having to use very low-rise blocks of only a few floors.

....There is a place I won't mention in West London which has been a regular hotspot for many stations, all coming from above the shops along the high street with massive scaffolding towers built on the top, been like that for decades.

whitenoisedb
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by whitenoisedb » Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:03 am

There's also another one opposite that
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

teckniqs
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by teckniqs » Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:09 am

whitenoisedb wrote: ↑Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:03 am There's also another one opposite that
I know the person who put that aerial up!

...Back when they were using a double stack I could hear it down this way (west sussex coast) but since they've been using the single it's not reaching down this way any longer, even up on the big hills.

techie76
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by techie76 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:26 am

whitenoisedb wrote: ↑Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:03 am There's also another one opposite that
I painted those coping stones and used to watched them take the rig then 2mins later they used to put a new one there lol

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:26 am

I used water towers, trees (Hampstead Heath, Horsenden Hill and a few others), the roof of a house in Highgate (a few doors away from the Police Station!) and even a disused department store building.
"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)

Bton-FM
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by Bton-FM » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:14 pm

I gather that a lot of stations use cell sites these days.Between a mast and a block, its the mast that has the better coverage (usually) but the block that has better security.

Roobru
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by Roobru » Tue May 05, 2020 12:34 pm

Albert H wrote: ↑Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:26 am I used water towers, trees (Hampstead Heath, Horsenden Hill and a few others), the roof of a house in Highgate (a few doors away from the Police Station!) and even a disused department store building.

I remember seeing a tv program years ago showing a pirate in a house around Highgate. Was that you lot?

If my memory is right, Ruud Awakening used a tree on Hamptstead Heath in the early 2000's .

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Wed May 06, 2020 1:09 am

Roobru wrote: ↑Tue May 05, 2020 12:34 pm
I remember seeing a tv program years ago showing a pirate in a house around Highgate. Was that you lot?
I think that it might have been friends of mine.
"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)

teckniqs
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by teckniqs » Wed May 06, 2020 11:22 am

Roobru wrote: ↑Tue May 05, 2020 12:34 pm
Albert H wrote: ↑Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:26 am I used water towers, trees (Hampstead Heath, Horsenden Hill and a few others), the roof of a house in Highgate (a few doors away from the Police Station!) and even a disused department store building.

If my memory is right, Ruud Awakening used a tree on Hamptstead Heath in the early 2000's .
Are you sure it wasn't up on Stanmore Hill? ...Back in about 99 or 2000 there was a documentary with Ruud Awakening on it and also it had Flare 89.6 on there, coming from a derelict house on a hill but it wasn't Highgate it was Stanmore, but Ruud Awakening used to be located more around the Highgate/Hampstead area. Not sure if this is the same one you are thinking of?
...I never watched it but remember hearing about it and know some of the people who was on there, if anyone knows the one and has a link to watch it please post it up.