lockdown boredom

Everything technical about radio can be discussed here, whether it's transmitting or receiving. Guides, charts, diagrams, etc. are all welcome.
surefm
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Re: lockdown boredom

Post by surefm » Sun May 03, 2020 7:29 pm

Another picture of board.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

surefm
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by surefm » Sun May 03, 2020 8:13 pm

Trying it in stereo, all seems ok so far, leave it running for a couple of days.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Wed May 06, 2020 12:50 am

Santiago wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 9:02 am Albert I'm thinking flower pot antenna, not not sure if I'm calculating right, 2 quarter wavelengths of 81.3cm and 13 turn choke on a 32mm pipe is 87.6?
That'll work! You'll need to tweak the lengths slightly, so cut them slightly too big and trim for best SWR.
"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)

Santiago
tower block dreamin!
tower block dreamin!

Post by Santiago » Wed May 06, 2020 8:19 am

Albert, I'm going to try a roll up slim Jim with 450ohm ladder wire, it's cheaper and looks like it's the best for stealth. just got a nice small 35amp car battery that easy to carry just need to work out possible running time
does anyone have a ball park fig on how many amps the rdvv board uses?

Bton-FM
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by Bton-FM » Wed May 06, 2020 11:02 am

Can’t you connect your multimeter in series with the RDVV whilst it is running and measure the current draw?

teckniqs
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by teckniqs » Wed May 06, 2020 11:20 am

Santiago wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 8:19 am Albert, I'm going to try a roll up slim Jim with 450ohm ladder wire, it's cheaper and looks like it's the best for stealth. just got a nice small 35amp car battery that easy to carry just need to work out possible running time
Usually about 1 to 1.5 amps depending on the power output. You should last all day long.

tokingmenace
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by tokingmenace » Wed May 06, 2020 12:37 pm

Bton-FM wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 11:02 am Can’t you connect your multimeter in series with the RDVV whilst it is running and measure the current draw?
Yes you can. A good way to calculate battery time.

Santiago
tower block dreamin!
tower block dreamin!

Post by Santiago » Wed May 06, 2020 12:53 pm

I did not know that, i have a multimeter thank you will try

tokingmenace
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by tokingmenace » Wed May 06, 2020 12:59 pm

Santiago wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 8:19 am Albert, I'm going to try a roll up slim Jim with 450ohm ladder wire, it's cheaper and looks like it's the best for stealth. just got a nice small 35amp car battery that easy to carry just need to work out possible running time
Personally I would use a leisure battery, better life cycle for recharging, when your kit drain's it down really low.
You can pick-up small 75Ah one's cheap online.

Your car battery will be fine though, and you should get 24hours of continuous use. All depends what else you are thinking of
draining from it? mp3 player / phone for audio linking.

Adding a 12volt on/off timer switch is a good way to save power, say you just want to come on for 12hours Saturday & Sundays.
That way you can do a weekend stint and only have to change your battery once a week.
You have to think, is it worth wasting battery life in the early hours of the morning, when the potential for listeners will be low?

:smoke

Santiago
tower block dreamin!
tower block dreamin!

Post by Santiago » Wed May 06, 2020 6:46 pm

it's just a little experiment for the weekends, want to see how low power I can go to cover my area, if I can do it on 6 watts or less that would be a bonus.
going to play pre recorded for now, if works I'll try 4g linking

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Thu May 07, 2020 3:49 am

The batteries I used for things like this were big lead / acid sealed jobs that had been removed from burglar alarms. There was a company near me in North London (way back when I lived there) that maintained burglar alarms. Their field engineers would return to base each week with a bootful of batteries that they'd replaced just because the contracts said that they had to. Most of these batteries had just sat there on float charge for about 2 years until they were replaced. The boss of the company was glad to have me dispose of them for him!
"Why is my rig humming?"
;)

teckniqs
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by teckniqs » Thu May 07, 2020 9:28 am

Albert H wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 3:49 am The batteries I used for things like this were big lead / acid sealed jobs that had been removed from burglar alarms. There was a company near me in North London (way back when I lived there) that maintained burglar alarms. Their field engineers would return to base each week with a bootful of batteries that they'd replaced just because the contracts said that they had to. Most of these batteries had just sat there on float charge for about 2 years until they were replaced. The boss of the company was glad to have me dispose of them for him!
Sounds like the usual pair of 12v @7Ah Yuasa types.

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Fri May 08, 2020 3:19 am

They were bigger than that. They're rated at 15.5 AH per battery. They're sealed. Some are Yuasa and others are Varta, Chloride and "Sunshine"! I've still got a pallet full of them in my lock-up.
"Why is my rig humming?"
;)

Santiago
tower block dreamin!
tower block dreamin!

Post by Santiago » Fri May 08, 2020 7:34 am

tested the board on the car battery, no noise at all, tweaked the power up to 8 watts and ran some audio through.. all seems good. just going to box it up no frills, attach heatsink and I've got a old maplin project box to put it in.

Electronically
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Re: RE: Re: lockdown boredom

Post by Electronically » Fri May 08, 2020 7:55 am

Santiago wrote:tested the board on the car battery, no noise at all, tweaked the power up to 8 watts and ran some audio through.. all seems good. just going to box it up no frills, attach heatsink and I've got a old maplin project box to put it in.
Maplins box your talking about. Is that the one with the black cover top?. If so there hard to find these days. I've Been hunting for one of them.

Sent from my AMN-LX9 using Tapatalk

teckniqs
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by teckniqs » Fri May 08, 2020 10:40 am

:rip

Bton-FM
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by Bton-FM » Fri May 08, 2020 11:06 am

teckniqs wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 10:40 am Image

:rip
Craplin was so annoyingly useless! Whenever you went to get some components you were missing they only ever had 3! Not to mention how overpriced it was. :? :o

Santiago
tower block dreamin!
tower block dreamin!

Post by Santiago » Fri May 08, 2020 3:28 pm

yea with black top, its been in storage 10+ years

Electronically
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Re: RE: Re: lockdown boredom

Post by Electronically » Fri May 08, 2020 4:15 pm

Santiago wrote:yea with black top, its been in storage 10+ years
Christ, wonder how there was none in maplins, you've bought them all lol.

Sent from my AMN-LX9 using Tapatalk

Bton-FM
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by Bton-FM » Fri May 08, 2020 4:25 pm

Out of interest where do people get the enclosures for the rig? They are so expensive on Ebay.