Merseyside

For discussion of all stations in the UK that are outside of London.
oldtech
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Re: Merseyside

Post by oldtech » Sat Apr 22, 2023 4:00 pm

LeeCavanagh wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 3:29 pm Sounds very petty, could equally backfire if they decide to actually report concept, so let’s hope everyone plays nice. Carousel also uses that freq from time to time but both tsa can’t really hear each other anyway, and it wasn’t on at all over Easter .
non of the Liverpool pirates get out very far these days, now in the mid 80s to mid 90s that was a different story. I wonder if that is the way they want it,,power is cheap these days but lower power potentially keeps them at lower risk (but always there are risks).
Yes agreed, I don't live in the area so I've no idea what frequencies are clear, but Concept as I understand it only broadcasts on bank holidays so it would be better to come to some amicable arrangement as Overdrive are on the air daily.

Matt
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by Matt » Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:33 pm

I've genuinely never heard of Overdrive and I check those frequencies regularly.

While I'm here, I've heard Radio Waves a few times this year on 87.7 but they don't seem to be as frequent as they used to be. Although I could just be missing them I suppose.

oldtech
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by oldtech » Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:41 pm

Matt wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:33 pm I've genuinely never heard of Overdrive and I check those frequencies regularly.

While I'm here, I've heard Radio Waves a few times this year on 87.7 but they don't seem to be as frequent as they used to be. Although I could just be missing them I suppose.
Overdrive are quite a distance from Liverpool, but recently changed frequency and increased their power, hence the problems I assume

LeeCavanagh
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by LeeCavanagh » Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:41 pm

Ive never heard of overdrive either, all i get on the old freq of 106.3 is Chester's Dee Radio hoofing in
Sony ST 920 QS

LeeCavanagh
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by LeeCavanagh » Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:43 pm

And i get Today FM from Ireland on 101.4 , otherwise that would be good to use, dont know if anyone from Liverpool gets that strong

When were F.R.L last on the air?

Anyone know for sure what power any of the merseyside peeps use? I used to get 87.5 and 87.7 2 years ago, but all i get know is a distant hint of some bass amongst the static, i know something is there but .... . I got it better when i turned my yagi to point at Manchester which made little sense, and now i’m pointed to Merseyside and i get bugger all, i do get community station KRC live tho on 99.8
Sony ST 920 QS

jvok
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by jvok » Mon Apr 24, 2023 2:30 am

You can pick up today on both 101.4 and 100.8 on high ground around merseyside/north wales but it quickly fades out closer to ground level. I think the only reason you hear them at all is its such a clear frequency so expect a local pirate would easily wipe them out on either frequency. In fact I sometimes hear classic fm breaking through on 100.8, ive checked and the only classic transmitters on that frequency are wrotham and one on the scottish borders so just goes to show how weak signals were talking about.

Smooth fm derby from drum hill might be more of a problem on 101.4

Last I heard FRL was new years on 100.8. MAR are on 87.5 most sundays but coverage is terrible, I cant even get them in liverpool proper. Get them pretty strong on the m56 between runcorn/ellesmere port though so have a feeling theyre coming from somewhere around speke/hale/widnes sort of way. Which might explain your yagi

oldtech
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by oldtech » Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:44 pm

oh well if no one has heard Overdrive it seems odd that someone (Concept?) faked a call from Ofcom, perhaps it was Ofcom, it was an O2 mobile number. I don't think Ofcom normally give a heads up, but times have changed since I was chased by Gotts & Co. so maybe they do :)

Blackjake
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by Blackjake » Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:46 am

Radio Overdrive heard at its usual time on Sunday in Crewe on 100.8. Radio Overdrive, formally Ten Sixtyfive Overdrive use to be on 106.5 until recently :tup

LeeCavanagh
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by LeeCavanagh » Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:22 am

Crewe? Must be over your way, I still couldn’t hear it,

It’s probably his mates messing about, if I can’t hear it then people in Liverpool I’m pretty sure don’t care,
Sony ST 920 QS

Blackjake
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by Blackjake » Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:56 am

I spoke to Radio Overdrive the other day and they told me that they have no intention of causing problems on its new frequency. It understand that a station known as Concept broadcast on the same frequency as them and have made it clear that it will not unintentionally jam Concept. It understands that Concept broadcast on Bank Holidays only and if they are heard on 100.8 then Overdrive is willing to significantly reduce its tx power during those days. Formally Ten Sixtyfive Overdrive on 106.5, now operates as Radio Overdrive 100.8. The station has been broadcasting daily for three and a half years, but following the complaint, it's currently broadcasting a reduce service. This reduce service I've been informed is only a temporary measure and full daily broadcasting will return soon. On Sundsy April 9th, Radio Caroline North was heard in Liverpool being relayed by Radio Overdrive all day long. So the owner feels that it may have inadvertently upset a Mersyside station.
Regards Black Jake

LeeCavanagh
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by LeeCavanagh » Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:56 pm

That’s interesting BlakeJake, do you know what power they are using? And what’s their TSA is?

As Matt says, he’s not heard it, nor me , but someone near Merseyside may well have a better receiver :)

Can you pick up Concept or Carousel in Crewe ?

The first page in the out of London thread lists all the stations people have found

Would 100 not be better for Overdrive? Or 108? I can see why anyone would move from 106.5 tho due to Dee in Chester.
Last edited by LeeCavanagh on Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sony ST 920 QS

LeeCavanagh
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by LeeCavanagh » Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:59 pm

If they broadcast daily , are they on right now?
Sony ST 920 QS

jvok
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by jvok » Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:04 pm

Concept were on 100.8 last night "testing their microphones" (because you have to be on air to do that right?)

Mersey pirates as professional as always

Blackjake
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by Blackjake » Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:46 pm

No, I've no idea what power or what tsa they're at. They are quite secretive on those issues but I feel it operates somewhere in Cheshire or south Merceyside. Speake perhaps. I have asked them in the past with the reply, "You must be joking." I don't blame them for not telling me but certainly not a new station. Sounds very similar to Radio Caroline with the music choice although it does play alot of the lastest rock vibes.
Overdrive isn't on at the moment of writing.

LeeCavanagh
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by LeeCavanagh » Tue Apr 25, 2023 3:01 pm

BlackJake, I didn’t mean their location, just an idea of where they get too, but that answers my question.
Strange I don’t get them based on the info provided, I can only guess it’s relatively low power.

Jvok- you made me laugh with that, but of course that’s why us anoraks love pirates , if we wanted professional we would listen to Chris on Virgin breakfast.
Sony ST 920 QS

oldtech
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by oldtech » Tue Apr 25, 2023 3:48 pm

I see on Global Tuners a new SDR is coming for East Cheshire, Jacks tuners are amongst the few that tune band 2 WFM, so perhaps that will give a nice band scan for the area if it's from a good site, this is the Leicestershire SDR with the announcement

Operator: Jack
Receiver: SDRPlay RSP (API v2)
Antenna: Quarter Wave 130 MHz at 15m AGL (245m ASL)
Time zone: GMT +0
Info page
Request support
***This receiver is set to auto-reboot every morning at 3am, if you are using it and it goes offline it should return within 10 minutes or so***

***NEW: East Cheshire Receiver Coming Soon***

jvok
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by jvok » Tue Apr 25, 2023 5:26 pm

Ill try and do a cheshire band scan this weekend, see if I can catch overdrive

Blackjake
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by Blackjake » Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:48 pm

Overdrive is currently running a reduced broadcast service since that nasty call last Monday . They were heard last Sunday from 1pm till 4pm so that would probably be a good time to tune in. They were on this evening (Tuesday) from 6pm till 10pm and announced they will be on tomorrow Wednesday from 1pm . Good luck and happy listening.

jvok
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by jvok » Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:52 pm

Was in crewe today, no sign of Overdrive or anyone else on 100.8 or any of the other known frequencies

Blackjake
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by Blackjake » Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:34 am

Radio Overdrive was heard from 6pm till midnight Saturday April 29th on 100.8