Brian needs more power... any suggestions ?

Everything technical about radio can be discussed here, whether it's transmitting or receiving. Guides, charts, diagrams, etc. are all welcome.
BriansBrain
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin
Location: Gran Canaria, Spain. One of the 7 islands off the N.W. coast of Africa.

Re: Brian needs more power... any suggestions ?

Post by BriansBrain » Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:39 pm

rigmo wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:42 am few month before i test 350W and get with fine tune 81% efficiency before I brake my PSU i push more then 400w.. i order new PSU 1000W :
81% :tup
That's just the Pallet I assume :smoke
OK but, then add the power of the fans exciter etc.
Then there is the efficiency of the power supplies :whistle

What is the Overall efficiency ?
''Radio Brian'' - One of the Most Unique English Speaking Radio Stations in the Canaries... Possibly the World.

rigmo
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by rigmo » Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:49 pm

BriansBrain wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:48 pm

I am a 71 year old retired English man living in Spain with no income other than my small basic pension from the UK.
Unless you would like to make a donation to ''Radio Brian'' that's my economic situation.

I'm now old with rheumatoid arthritis and very bad eye site, precise fiddly stuff now is very difficult
for me accomplish correctly.
Brain, it's not too late for your recovery, you can still get your efficiency back 10-20g. if you are a soldier, the positive effect on our health is guaranteed, unfortunately we have bad health effects out of ignorance and less out of unwillingness!!

Its not easy to match because you need collection of ATC100B capacitance ... etc...
Today is not expensive TinySA and nanoVNA... we are blessed in some way...
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001274404758.html i have one on stock
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001273374562.html

rigmo
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by rigmo » Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:56 pm

BriansBrain wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:39 pm What is the Overall efficiency ?
we're talking about the amplifier, each component is for itself... if it cools well, i.e. it doesn't heat up too much, you can set the fans to a lower number of revolutions.... https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32464248769.html

BriansBrain
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin
Location: Gran Canaria, Spain. One of the 7 islands off the N.W. coast of Africa.

Post by BriansBrain » Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:26 pm

rigmo wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:26 pm is installed like this one on left side?
Here is mine, pic taken today (note we have bloody clouds :lol: ).
The mount pole is 35mm dia with the top 18cm reduced down to 30mm dia
that is why I have the U bolts down a bit :tup
Dominator-4.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
''Radio Brian'' - One of the Most Unique English Speaking Radio Stations in the Canaries... Possibly the World.

rigmo
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by rigmo » Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:06 pm

BriansBrain wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:26 pm
rigmo wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:26 pm is installed like this one on left side?
Here is mine, pic taken today (note we have bloody clouds :lol: ).

Dominator-4.jpg
you need lift antenna.-- red mark left side of bar-
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BriansBrain
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by BriansBrain » Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:13 pm

rigmo wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:49 pm Brain, it's not too late for your recovery, you can still get your efficiency back 10-20g. if you are a soldier, the positive effect on our health is guaranteed, unfortunately we have bad health effects out of ignorance and less out of unwillingness!!
I am willing to give anything a go in my head anyway.
Sometimes I think I'm still young and can make anything... like I used to :whistle
Example...
This is a 256 channel custom built lighting desk I designed and built for a Disco in North Wales in the mid 80's.
256 Channel OCTAGON Lighting Desk.jpg
But now it's down to what my limbs can accomplish successfully.
rigmo wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:49 pm Its not easy to match because you need collection of ATC100B capacitance ... etc...
Today is not expensive TinySA and nanoVNA... we are blessed in some way...
BTW: I've got a complete workshop complete with a Siglent SSA3021X SA and a BIRD 4304A Wattmeter
Workshop 10-04-2021.jpg
Looking at the RF pallet if it means de-soldering an trying different SMD caps until I get it right then...
I can just imagine it will end up a total mess with all the print coming off the board
I am old skool and I can manage old skool designed equipment but this modern stuff does my head in :roll:

BriansBrain
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by BriansBrain » Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:22 pm

rigmo wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:56 pm
we're talking about the amplifier, each component is for itself... if it cools well, i.e. it doesn't heat up too much, you can set the fans to a lower number of revolutions.... https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32464248769.html
OK here is my Power Meter my TX rack - Exciter, fans, Linear, power supplies etc
Everything needed to produce the FM signal
The rack consumes +/- 315W for an RF output of 150W = to 47.61904761904761% efficiency :smoke
Brian TX Rig Power consumption @ 150W.JPG

rigmo
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by rigmo » Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:23 pm

Brain... who can stop you after I sent you the spices if you practice them for the rest of your life. everything has a cause and effect. solve the cause and more consequences will not be repeated or solved.

rigmo
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by rigmo » Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:26 pm

BriansBrain wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:22 pm
rigmo wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:56 pm
OK here is my Power Meter my TX rack - Exciter, fans, Linear, power supplies etc
Everything needed to produce the FM signal
The rack consumes +/- 315W for an RF output of 150W = to 47.61904761904761% efficiency :smoke

Brian TX Rig Power consumption @ 150W.JPG
Drive your fans trough solar panels if no enough sun switch on back... or automatic via battery....
NdFeB ovo moze pomoci kod vaseg problema :D

BriansBrain
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by BriansBrain » Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:44 pm

BriansBrain wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:26 pm Here is mine, pic taken today (note we have bloody clouds :lol: ).
rigmo wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:06 pm you need lift antenna.-- red mark left side of bar-
*NOTE* the mounting pole is reduced to 30mm dia at the top for 18cm

Please tell me how that will change things.
I contacted the supplier and they said it would not effect anything.
I get good SWR now so what can change ?

BriansBrain
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by BriansBrain » Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:48 pm

rigmo wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:23 pm Brain... who can stop you after I sent you the spices if you practice them for the rest of your life. everything has a cause and effect. solve the cause and more consequences will not be repeated or solved.
*NOTE* All your emails I moved into my SPAM folder :whistle

sinus trouble
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by sinus trouble » Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:04 am

Haha! That retro Octagon photo is class!! :)

Anyways, I completely understand your dislike of SMT DIY builds! I am not a fan either!

Looking at your power meter? 315 Watt is quite high for 150 Watt RF output!

If i remember from your earliest posts on this Forum, You was using one of those "Chinese Amps" Correct me if i am wrong?

There is a way that you could more than double your RF output, improve efficiency and save a bit of cash!

As anyone with some experience of electrical systems will know that voltage is inversely proportional to current equal to a total power consumed in Watts!

Therefore, low voltage/high current systems tend to be less efficient compared to high voltage/low current systems!

So, in theory? Increasing your existing gear from 24v to 48v should boost the overall efficiency of both amplifier and PSU?

There is an excellent 300W amplifier which is available with driver stage and protection built in!

If you email the supplier, they may even build and test it for you? (As you are not in the UK)

It may not be what you are looking for? But theres nothing to lose!

Good luck Brian! :)
I am as stupid as I look! :|

BriansBrain
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by BriansBrain » Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:30 am

sinus trouble wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:04 am Looking at your power meter? 315 Watt is quite high for 150 Watt RF output!
That 315 Watt is NOT just the 150W Linear.
It the consumption of the whole TX rack inc...
1 x Tugicom TX180 exciter
1 x 25V power supply for the Tugicom
4 x 12V power supplies for items below
2 x 120mm x 120mm fans
3 x 70mm x 70mm fans on the 150w Linear
1 x Digital Volt/Current meter in the Linear
1 x small Booster linear 1W in 1W > 5W out
+ Led lights in the SWR's and a digital room temperature meter
sinus trouble wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:04 am If i remember from your earliest posts on this Forum, You was using one of those "Chinese Amps" Correct me if i am wrong?
YES it's a Chinese 150W linears using the MRF9180 MOSFET @ 26V
sinus trouble wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:04 am There is an excellent 300W amplifier which is available with driver stage and protection built in!
If you email the supplier, they may even build and test it for you? (As you are not in the UK)
Like I have mentioned before every linear amp I have found needs at least 3W drive if not more which is the first problem :(

rigmo
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by rigmo » Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:03 pm

BriansBrain wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:30 am
Like I have mentioned before every linear amp I have found needs at least 3W drive if not more which is the first problem :(
that is not correct i heave :) 300W drive 1w

BriansBrain
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by BriansBrain » Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:35 pm

rigmo wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:03 pm
that is not correct i heave :) 300W drive 1w
OK :tup
More tech info please :smoke

jvok
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by jvok » Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:43 pm

Think the mrf300 will do 300w out 1w in

sinus trouble
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by sinus trouble » Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:57 pm

sinus trouble wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:04 am There is an excellent 300W amplifier which is available with driver stage and protection built in!
I shall repeat!

There is an excellent 300W amplifier which is available with DRIVER STAGE and protection built in!

Yes it has a driver stage built in! Input power is 0.5 to 1 Watt!

Currently it is DIY! But as i mentioned previously! If you email the supplier, they MAY build and test it for you! :)
I am as stupid as I look! :|

BriansBrain
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by BriansBrain » Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:29 pm

sinus trouble wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:57 pm I shall repeat!

There is an excellent 300W amplifier which is available with DRIVER STAGE and protection built in!

Yes it has a driver stage built in! Input power is 0.5 to 1 Watt!

Currently it is DIY! But as i mentioned previously! If you email the supplier, they MAY build and test it for you! :)
OK..... yes I seen you replied with this before but......
Do I have to guess who the supplier is :whistle

rigmo
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by rigmo » Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:23 pm

jvok wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:43 pm Think the mrf300 will do 300w out 1w in
yes i know only one model from Greek guy... 1.25W 300W out

rigmo
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by rigmo » Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:36 pm

sinus trouble wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:57 pm If you email the supplier, they may even build and test it for you? (As you are not in the UK)
If I think of the same person you mentioned hear. He ignore me almost one year.. i pay him 40GPD for parts make lot time for him (I don't regret time, duty and sharing..).. and i do not get parts even money back !
I have no words for such dishonourable behaviour... and my faith is running out...