SINUS RDS PROJECT

Everything technical about radio can be discussed here, whether it's transmitting or receiving. Guides, charts, diagrams, etc. are all welcome.
3metrejim
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Re: SINUS RDS PROJECT

Post by 3metrejim » Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:46 am

As this RDS module firmware stands, there are quite a few bugs, and it is possible to identify that this coder is being used by monitoring an off-air signal (If anyone cares). I will offer to bug fix it (for free :tup ), if anyone is interested. If interested then you can reply here or send a pm requesting bug fix. If enough interest, then I will do the bug fix (I'll probably do it anyway, but have more incentive if it actually helps anyone).

radium98
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by radium98 » Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:04 am

3meterjim already sent you a pm bro , by the way thanks for the effort you put on .let us know a final firmware also to see how it goes.

Krakatoa
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by Krakatoa » Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:31 am

I don't know if fixing all those bugs will be worth the time it needs.
There was an RDS project named ERDS by fmdream.net a very long time ago. It used a PIC16F84A working at 16MHz and, although hard to put to work because it needed an extenal I2C Eeprom, and supplying the RDS clock and 57kHz carrier, it worked absolutely flawlessly. In fact, I have one working 24/7 since 2005.
It even worked so fine that in an old sony-ericsson cellphone radio that was very picky of RDS quality, it picked it first time, everytime.
The only problem the coder had, was with dynamic PS, that the timing between labels was wrongly sent by the PC software.
Maybe I will upload the .hex because, disassembling that and porting it to a newer PIC device but keeping the good RDS generating core code would be a nice project. It is an idea I had sometimes, but I'm no microcontroller wizard.

3metrejim
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by 3metrejim » Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:28 pm

Small update, just got to give it a test now to make sure it still generates a signal. I've only got a 627 and no 4.332MHz crystal, but it will fit in the 627 and I'll just have to divide frequencies with it running at 4Mhz, No scope (lost in a move) but an attenuator into a PC soundcard will be ok for such a low frequency (the data). I'll Let you know later on how it goes.

yellowbeard
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by yellowbeard » Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:40 pm

ERDS in case anyone is interested:
https://www.piratenpraten.nl/schemas/3- ... ware/ERDS/
:beers

sinus trouble
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by sinus trouble » Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:16 am

Blimey! :)

Its gonna take me a little while to catch up on developments here!

Thank you all for your contributions, Especially 3mtrjim! I really appreciate all your time and expertise! :)
I am as stupid as I look! :|

radium98
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by radium98 » Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:59 am

i have also did that Erds 1.1 fm dream since 12 years , i remember an lpt connection , the developer was ivo baradic and he was with juan from piraxx but i dont know what was after in between , i was in contact with ivo , to program that little one time programming chip 12c508 . problem was the 22second scroll

3metrejim
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by 3metrejim » Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:22 pm

A note about USB adaptors, If you have one based on a CH340, then you need the inverting transistor in the receive line. Just tested while working on bug fixes.

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:37 pm

3metrejim wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:22 pm A note about USB adaptors, If you have one based on a CH340, then you need the inverting transistor in the receive line. Just tested while working on bug fixes.
That's right, but if you're using one with the Prolific PL2303 chip in it, you need to connect to the pull-up resistor (ie: the collector of that transistor). It's probably best to include the transistor, and two terminals - inverted and non-inverted. The one I use has the Prolific chip in it:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/394352779043
which only costs £2.95 and does the job well!

I had considered adding the Prolific IC to the RDS board, to make it USB input, but I can only find them at reasonable price in a surface-mounted package, so it's cheaper and easier to go with the adaptor cable.
"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)

3metrejim
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by 3metrejim » Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:50 pm

The RDS boards on Etsy and ali-express have the usb chip on board, and they also look like a variation of the MonRDS design; you can clearly see the PIC16F628A, the crystal, the inductor and a long line of r's and c's and the two resistors feeding them (and the clue in the url :roll: ). Guess they will get some more stable firmware soon too, but I'll keep an upgrade for myself (or sell it... Those code jockeys, eh :smoke )

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1267860538 ... monrds-for

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:18 am

That's really expensive!
"Why is my rig humming?"
;)

radium98
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by radium98 » Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:41 am

How do they add a usb , can we do the same on extra pcb .

3metrejim
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by 3metrejim » Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:07 pm

Been a while, found a way to mostly test that updated software hadn't killed the RDS output of the MonRDS/SINUS firmware. In the image you can see it being tested with RDS Spy and a terminal program.

I have attached firmware that has had the most serious bugs removed, some increased error checking, and output of indeterminate AF codes change to no AF exist codes. May still have some faults, bug reports welcome.
RDS_test_MonRDS.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sinus trouble
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by sinus trouble » Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:08 am

I uploaded this this onto the SINUS RDS today!

So far things are looking good! :D

Its early days yet? But i can confirm that the RDS has a faster response with less glitches!

It is also showing on more receivers than the original previous Software!

sinus trouble
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by sinus trouble » Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:09 am

SDR RDS.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

LeeCavanagh
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by LeeCavanagh » Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:29 am

Thanks for this link
3metrejim wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:07 pm Been a while, found a way to mostly test that updated software hadn't killed the RDS output of the MonRDS/SINUS firmware. In the image you can see it being tested with RDS Spy and a terminal program.

I have attached firmware that has had the most serious bugs removed, some increased error checking, and output of indeterminate AF codes change to no AF exist codes. May still have some faults, bug reports welcome.

RDS_test_MonRDS.png
Sony ST 920 QS

sinus trouble
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by sinus trouble » Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:59 am

LeeCavanagh wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:29 am Thanks for this link
3metrejim wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:07 pm Been a while, found a way to mostly test that updated software hadn't killed the RDS output of the MonRDS/SINUS firmware. In the image you can see it being tested with RDS Spy and a terminal program.

RDS_test_MonRDS.png
Yes! It looks like 3mtrjim has done the business with this Software upgrade! :D

"AF" (alternative frequency) is redundant to most pirates! Unless you have a network of multiple transmission sites?

I would say the PS (program service) and RT (radio text) are more significant for pirates!

radium98
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by radium98 » Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:04 am

3metrejim and sinus thanks you guys.

radium98
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by radium98 » Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:19 am

I have etched an hpf filter , earlier but luck to the lm358 .
the rds i used to use ot test is the one attached in the picture , with also with his control software used and the firmware , pic used is 628A and the firmware is the standalone one , but i would like later to burn the version F88.also there is a thermometer with attiny if anyone is intersted to build a new .lay for fantasm . i did it but i dont know it work with me , or i did something wrong .experienter are adviced for some tests.
i will attach everything.
about the hpf where it should be correctly implemented ?
https://www.mediafire.com/file/2y120w7h ... e.rar/file

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:04 am

The HPF connects after the level preset on the original board. This then just filters the RDS before you mix it with the rest of the modulation.
"Why is my rig humming?"
;)