Elenos ETG 1000W Repair

Everything technical about radio can be discussed here, whether it's transmitting or receiving. Guides, charts, diagrams, etc. are all welcome.
BriansBrain
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin
Location: Gran Canaria, Spain. One of the 7 islands off the N.W. coast of Africa.

Elenos ETG 1000W Repair

Post by BriansBrain » Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:31 pm

:whistle

Managed to get one of these older type Elenos ETG1000 1000W 22kG monsters at a reasonable price :smoke
ETG1000-1.JPG
It powers up, the display and fans work, BUT no RF output at all :cry:
Low voltage PS = OK.
48V PS goes form 30V > 50V when you attempt to set the power output level.

LPF looks fine
ETG1000 - Low-Pass Filter.JPG
50V 48A PS is a monster
ETG1000 - PS-2.JPG
15W driver & 4 x 300W main out put stages
ETG1000 Driver + 4 Final.JPG
I am cleaning and looking for clues to the no RF out :tup
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
''Radio Brian'' - One of the Most Unique English Speaking Radio Stations in the Canaries... Possibly the World.

BriansBrain
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin
Location: Gran Canaria, Spain. One of the 7 islands off the N.W. coast of Africa.

Re: Elenos ETG 1000W Repair

Post by BriansBrain » Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:39 pm

Driver board is suspect, voltages check out OK.
Driver.JPG
RF in from the mother board = 1V P-P
Input to the BLF404 = 5V P-P
BLF404 output = 0V P-P
Driver Voltages.jpg
Suspect BLF404 = Ordered
I will change the ERA-5 as well while the board is out

:tup
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
''Radio Brian'' - One of the Most Unique English Speaking Radio Stations in the Canaries... Possibly the World.

BriansBrain
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by BriansBrain » Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:47 pm

Driver board, cleaned and the BLF404 & ERA-5 removed.

The BLF404 tested Gate Open Circuit :smoke
Driver - BLF404 & ERA-5 removed.JPG

3metrejim
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by 3metrejim » Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:05 pm

Gate will be open circuit on a mosfet transistor. I'd apply 12v with the transistor removed and check the gate bias voltage (0.44v seems a little on the low side) and that all of the biasing components test ok.

BriansBrain
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by BriansBrain » Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:34 pm

3metrejim wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:05 pm Gate will be open circuit on a mosfet transistor. I'd apply 12v with the transistor removed and check the gate bias voltage (0.44v seems a little on the low side) and that all of the biasing components test ok.
Correction, I should of mentioned I tested it with one of these things :tup
Capture.JPG

3metrejim
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by 3metrejim » Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:44 pm

I guess that would do it. Nice transmitter, even if old - looks like it's had some dust and sea air exposure. Is that harmonic filter constructed with pcb capacitors? If so, I guess it must be a teflon loaded board.

rigmo
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by rigmo » Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:15 pm

is this possible crack?

radium98
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by radium98 » Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:42 am

seems to me no , not a crack , but something in dead rf caps.

BriansBrain
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by BriansBrain » Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:03 pm

rigmo wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:15 pm is this possible crack?
Not a crack = No

I inspected the board with a glass - it's perfect for it's age :tup

BriansBrain
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by BriansBrain » Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:07 pm

3metrejim wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:44 pm I guess that would do it. Nice transmitter, even if old - looks like it's had some dust and sea air exposure.
Got myself a 500W Air Duster and cleaned loads of it out already :tup
3metrejim wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:44 pm Is that harmonic filter constructed with pcb capacitors? If so, I guess it must be a teflon loaded board.
I assume so :whistle

BriansBrain
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by BriansBrain » Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:15 pm

As a matter of interest here is the User and Maintenance Manual
Complete with Circuits and PCB layouts :tup
Capture.JPG
LINK >
https://www.dropbox.com/s/uu292hluebd25 ... 8.pdf?dl=0

sinus trouble
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by sinus trouble » Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:37 am

Nice bit of kit Brian! :)

I think its great that you are giving new life to something which may have been destined for the bin!

Dont know much about those transmitters? But i guess if the "Digital" side is still intact, Rectifying the problem is entirely doable! :)
I am as stupid as I look! :|

BriansBrain
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by BriansBrain » Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:01 pm

sinus trouble wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:37 am I think its great that you are giving new life to something which may have been destined for the bin!
I am actually after a good second hand more Modern Indium version of this Elenos transmitter
But in the meantime if I can get this one going it will do for now and... for a future spare TX :tup
sinus trouble wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:37 am Dont know much about those transmitters? But i guess if the "Digital" side is still intact, Rectifying the problem is entirely doable! :)
Yes...according to many posts on the facebook Elenos Group Community page
if the "Digital" board is OK it can be repaired as long as the power supply is OK :tup

rigmo
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by rigmo » Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:39 pm

everything can be fixed. Today, the biggest challenge for engineers is that things last exactly as long as they predicted... old mosfets and good cooling can literally work for decades! without failure! those who say outdated etc. are only in their interest to sell new! because the seller has at least 25% if not 40% of the device!

jvok
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by jvok » Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:01 pm

Looking at the schematic even the digital section is easily repairable as long as the eeprom that holds the firmware isn't toast. Even then you might be able to get a new firmware image for it.

Power supply looks repairable too but obviously you'd have to be comfortable working on mains powered switchers

rigmo
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by rigmo » Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:08 pm

BriansBrain wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:01 pm
sinus trouble wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:37 am I think its great that you are giving new life to something which may have been destined for the bin!
I am actually after a good second hand more Modern Indium version of this Elenos transmitter
But in the meantime if I can get this one going it will do for now and... for a future spare TX :tup
sinus trouble wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:37 am Dont know much about those transmitters? But i guess if the "Digital" side is still intact, Rectifying the problem is entirely doable! :)
Yes...according to many posts on the facebook Elenos Group Community page
if the "Digital" board is OK it can be repaired as long as the power supply is OK :tup
why aren't you closer, I would fix it for free! except for parts of course.

BriansBrain
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by BriansBrain » Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:23 am

jvok wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:01 pm Power supply looks repairable too but obviously you'd have to be comfortable working on mains powered switchers
Problem with the power supply I have is the circuit diagram is NOT available. :x
Well I can't find it an way :whistle

The PS in the Service Manual I have and posted is for the 1.6kW.

The PS I have in the TX is the more modern 2,5kW EPSU2K5PZ001
ETG1000 - PS-0.JPG
ETG1000 - PS-1.JPG

BriansBrain
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by BriansBrain » Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:31 am

rigmo wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:08 pm why aren't you closer, I would fix it for free! except for parts of course.
Thanks for the offer :tup

I have all the gear to fix it that's if I have still have the eye sight and the hands (Cataracts and Arthritis).

BTW: BLF404 and ERA-5 spare parts I ordered arrived today :smoke

Time to get the soldering station out I think :whistle

jvok
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by jvok » Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:43 am

After youve fixed it id get a can of air (or an air compressor if you have one) and blow all the dust out. Especially that psu looks filthy

BriansBrain
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by BriansBrain » Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:48 pm

jvok wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:43 am After youve fixed it id get a can of air (or an air compressor if you have one) and blow all the dust out. Especially that psu looks filthy
Got myself one of these 500W Air Dusters job already done :tup
Capture.JPG