Microwave modulator pcb

Everything technical about radio can be discussed here, whether it's transmitting or receiving. Guides, charts, diagrams, etc. are all welcome.
Banus_radio
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Microwave modulator pcb

Post by Banus_radio » Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:07 pm

Hey All

does anybody have the old schematic for the microwave modulator pcb that used the LM741 op amp and BYF51 or equiv transistor?

Im sure it was on this forum but I cant find it

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Re: Microwave modulator pcb

Post by Albert H » Tue Jun 20, 2023 1:31 am

You really don't want to use a 741 - they're horribly noisy!
µMModulator.jpg
That's the basic circuit I used to use. It's a good idea to connect 100n caps from the LM317 input to ground and output to ground. It helps with stability. The '317 needs a heatsink (which has to be isolated). I used to build them in little Eddystone diecast boxes, with the '317 bolted to the case (with an insulation kit). It's a good idea to use a phono socket for the audio and something like a BNC for the output - so that idiots can't plug them in back-to-front!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)

Shedbuilt
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Re: Microwave modulator pcb

Post by Shedbuilt » Thu Jun 22, 2023 1:11 pm

I used to use either a LF351, TL071, or similar (don't think I ever used a 741 in that application, it's not something I ever had knocking around), with an emitter follower - often a BFY51. I did it that way of my own accord (current dumping onto the emitter follower, which provided the current to drive the Gunn), but others may well have come up with very similar (it's a pretty basic concept). Pre-emphasis was incorporated into the feedback loop of the op-amp; where used without an encoder etc. Modulating a LM317 is probably a more widely used approach, and well proven.