winamp timing out

Everything technical about radio can be discussed here, whether it's transmitting or receiving. Guides, charts, diagrams, etc. are all welcome.
livendirect
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

winamp timing out

Post by livendirect » Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:28 pm

Guys need help why does my winamp keep timing out after random times and dropping stream :tup
Fusion Fm (Birmingham) Unreal Fm (Birmingham) :rip

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Re: winamp timing out

Post by Albert H » Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:39 pm

Simple - you're running it on Windoze! No serious broadcaster uses Windows for anything!

We use Audacity on Mint Linux for playout (when we're not using "Rivendell"). We can load over a week's worth of programmes, and they're played sequentially, keeping to time very accurately. The playback timing is accurate to <1 second over eight days!

The "up-link" software to the server is (usually) "DarkIce" and "Darksnow", running on a Raspberry Pi 3 with an "Audio Injector" card, all built into a small, neat box. It's flawless.

We tried "Butt" (Broadcast Using This Tool) for a while, because it was conveniently provided with a stereo level meter, but found that the DarkIce / DarkSnow combination is unbeatable.
"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)

mpx
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by mpx » Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:07 am

Winamp has a habit of doing that. Use the pira.cz silence detector to run a pls or m3u playlist file when it detects silence. You can also add a few copies of the stream entries to the playlist so it can skip to the next one.

whitenoisedb
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by whitenoisedb » Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:53 am

If you really have to use Winamp there's a plugin that will maintain a connection - https://github.com/hartwork/dsp_restless

Try VLC for better results, it isn't perfect but found it to be better than Winamp

BriansBrain
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin
Location: Gran Canaria, Spain. One of the 7 islands off the N.W. coast of Africa.

Post by BriansBrain » Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:05 pm

Albert H wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:39 pm Simple - you're running it on Windoze! No serious broadcaster uses Windows for anything!
For my ''Radio Brian'' Playout/Breakaway system I have been using
Windows XP Professional Version 2002 SP2 for the last 5 years 16.5 hrs a day
without a problem, stable as a rock.
A-J+Breakaway Screen.jpg
:whistle
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
''Radio Brian'' - One of the Most Unique English Speaking Radio Stations in the Canaries... Possibly the World.

oldtech
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by oldtech » Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:33 pm

Have you tried Mixxx ? https://mixxx.org/ it connects to Shoutcast/Icecast without extra plugins, Windows and Linux versions

King Croccy
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by King Croccy » Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:32 pm

If you're using Windoze, the best way I've found is to use breakaway one. It handles all the reconnecting in the software and you can type your stream straight into the software without any other program needed.

Some processor software requires winamp and as previously mentioned, restless is brilliant for keeping the stream going when there is a glitch.

Currently I am experimenting with the pi4 and using stereotool/vlc and a homemade 192khz soundcard. Everything works great but unfortunately vlc appears to be the weak link. From time to time the audio stops dead and if I look at the time, the numbers are frozen. Vlc has not crashed but you have to manually press "stop" and then "play" to get it working again. Its very annoying :lol: :oops: :whistle

I'm just wondering, if there is a fix for this? Maybe a vlc plugin that is like restless? Or does it mean it needs a script?

I am currently trying to learn the most I can about linux and tinkering with scripts. :mrgreen:

mikroman
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by mikroman » Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:32 pm

the most stable software as an ip player that I have worked with is radioboss. it is possible to set a silence detector as part of it, as well as a rule for what to do in the case of a stream interruption (go to an alternative link or try to establish a connection every few seconds). it has been working in one tx site for 4 years without a single breakdown.

mikroman
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by mikroman » Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:37 pm

BriansBrain wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:05 pm
Albert H wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:39 pm Simple - you're running it on Windoze! No serious broadcaster uses Windows for anything!
For my ''Radio Brian'' Playout/Breakaway system I have been using
without a problem, stable as a rock.

A-J+Breakaway Screen.jpg

:whistle
the first version of the breakaway is good, but the breakaway one is far superior. It worth every €.

Albert H
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by Albert H » Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:38 pm

BriansBrain wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:05 pm For my ''Radio Brian'' Playout/Breakaway system I have been using
without a problem,
The daily reboot is what's keeping it running.

I've got a machine in one of our studios that hasn't been rebooted since June 2017! It's supported by a UPS (since the occasional power cut isn't unknown), and it's just a secondhand Dell Optiplex 7010 - so it's bog-standard hardware.

You've probably got rid of all the extraneous cruft that comes with Windoze, and it's probably not connected to the Interweb. XP with all the "Service Packs" was more stable than most versions of Windoze, but even Dave Cutler (the guy who wrote the NT kernel used in all versions of Windoze since 1992) doesn't use Windoze himself!
"Why is my rig humming?"
"Because it doesn't know the words!"
;)

BriansBrain
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin
Location: Gran Canaria, Spain. One of the 7 islands off the N.W. coast of Africa.

Post by BriansBrain » Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:07 pm

Albert H wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:38 pm
BriansBrain wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:05 pm For my ''Radio Brian'' Playout/Breakaway system I have been using
without a problem,
The daily reboot is what's keeping it running.
Wrong..... :whistle
For over two weeks last year I ran the Playout PC alone (not the transmitter) 24hrs a day for test purpose
= Solid as a rock - No Memory leakage at all - it was perfect :tup

[/quote]
You've probably got rid of all the extraneous cruft that comes with Windoze,
[/quote]
Correct :tup

[/quote]
It's probably not connected to the Interweb.
[/quote]
Correct :tup
Why would I need it connected to the Net :lol:

[/quote]
XP with all the "Service Packs" was more stable than most versions of Windoze
[/quote]

I have tried all Windows for Brian ........ I found XP with SP2 is the most stable.
+ Because I wrote my Auto-Jock Playout program in W98 & XP it's the obvious choice.

:smoke
''Radio Brian'' - One of the Most Unique English Speaking Radio Stations in the Canaries... Possibly the World.

BriansBrain
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by BriansBrain » Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:31 pm

mikroman wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:37 pm the first version of the breakaway is good, but the breakaway one is far superior. It worth every €.
The Choice of Sound Processor depends on the Station Format.
For modern (Specially Dance Music) it's probably fine.
However I find it too harsh, aggressive and over processed for Brian.

I run the old V0.90.69 on the standard Easy Listening Preset.
I have tried One with every possible setting and adjustment.
I found it impossible to re-create the equivalent smooth clean sound I am looking for :whistle

:smoke

mikroman
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by mikroman » Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:34 pm

@Brian you have PM ;)

BriansBrain
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by BriansBrain » Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:23 pm

mikroman wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:34 pm @Brian you have PM ;)
Errrrrrrr :roll:

I have just looked....... No I don't :shock:

radium98
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Post by radium98 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:42 pm

crxxk lol @mikroman

BriansBrain
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by BriansBrain » Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:08 pm

radium98 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:42 pm crxxk lol @mikroman
The plot thickens :lol:

mikroman
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by mikroman » Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:00 pm

if there is no title in the PM message, there is no sending... :D I learn something new every day! NOW you have a private message..i hope so! :D