Any pirates in Greater Manchester area?

For discussion of all stations in the UK that are outside of London.
teckniqs
proppa neck!
proppa neck!

Re: Any pirates in Greater Manchester area?

Post by teckniqs » Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:12 pm

Found this old photo of the Colyhurst/Miles Platting blocks in Manchester from 1987 of what's clearly a pirate dipole with what appears to be gaffa tape going up the pole.

....Any ideas who it was??
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

LeeCavanagh
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by LeeCavanagh » Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:57 pm

100.8 after a dead carrier for a while today now appears to be relaying Halo radio. same strength that panacea relay was, and base before it, not great quality at my house though.
Sony ST 920 QS

Wk-end
no manz can test innit
no manz can test innit

Post by Wk-end » Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:05 pm

teckniqs wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:12 pm Found this old photo of the Colyhurst/Miles Platting blocks in Manchester from 1987 of what's clearly a pirate dipole with what appears to be gaffa tape going up the pole.

....Any ideas who it was??
Laser, LCR, Unity maybe?
http://stream.wk-end.co.uk/

Studio Number> 07551-887-997

tvtv
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by tvtv » Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:40 pm

Laser were moss side (well, they were when I went round), soul nation were closer to castlefield.

Blackjake
big in da game.. trust
big in da game.. trust

Post by Blackjake » Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:33 pm

LeeCavanagh wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:57 pm 100.8 after a dead carrier for a while today now appears to be relaying Halo radio. same strength that panacea relay was, and base before it, not great quality at my house though.
Deafening silence from Leeroy,, Base fm manager.
Can it be assumed that the partnership between Base fm and the northern connection have parted ways? Such a shame if that's what's happened. Base fm had so much promise to be the dominant force in Manchester only to now fade into oblivion with only the odd relay from other radio stations.

LeeCavanagh
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by LeeCavanagh » Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:57 pm

Indeed blackjake, probably busy in Panama jacks,

I was getting halo earlier, but now i’m getting all the Irish stations instead, today 100.9 ,today 101.4 , and a classic station from Dublin 99.2
Sony ST 920 QS

tvtv
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by tvtv » Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:32 pm

Also getting Irish commercial station Q 102.2 which I’ve never noticed before driving about Cheshire

tvtv
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by tvtv » Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:35 pm

Anybody else getting a dead carrier on 87.5 ‘?

shuffy
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by shuffy » Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:21 pm

Blackjake wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:33 pmDeafening silence from Leeroy,, Base fm manager.
Can it be assumed that the partnership between Base fm and the northern connection have parted ways? Such a shame if that's what's happened. Base fm had so much promise to be the dominant force in Manchester only to now fade into oblivion with only the odd relay from other radio stations.
I can't make much sense of this whichever way I slice it. On new year's eve (after a couple of weeks of Panacea) the Base stream was restored to 100.8 but only for a couple of hours, and it reverted to Panacea, seemingly derived from one of the local DAB muxes. The power was also tweaked back up. As Lee said earlier, we then had a day or so of Halo (internet only, AFAIK?) and now dead carrier. If there's been a fall-out, why not just switch the rig off.

shuffy
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by shuffy » Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:22 pm

tvtv wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:35 pmAnybody else getting a dead carrier on 87.5 ‘?
Not this morning. Hard to tell on 87.5 though, especially in the car as there are a LOT of these car senders on that frequency and half the time they're on dead carrier!

LeeCavanagh
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by LeeCavanagh » Sat Jan 13, 2024 2:09 pm

I’m not getting it now either. And all the irish commercial stations seemed to have dropped, but we are due more prorogation so i may go find a large hill.
Sony ST 920 QS

LeeCavanagh
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by LeeCavanagh » Sat Jan 13, 2024 2:32 pm

I cant hear anything on 100.8 either, usually id get (in the back of my box), anyone else confirm if that is still on ? I note too that base fm stream is still turned on (but its silent, except for a base ident at tge top of every hour).
Sony ST 920 QS

LeeCavanagh
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by LeeCavanagh » Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:05 pm

Its still on, dead carrier most the day, god only knows why, but now relaying halo again
Sony ST 920 QS

LeeCavanagh
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by LeeCavanagh » Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:53 am

My take on it is that they have connections to panacea (sure I recognised one of the djs voices , even tho base started disguising at least one of their voices…and another I seem to recall was on soul nation), and maybe (just maybe but I don’t know , there is a connection to halo which does have an ‘halo player’ on App Store). perhaps it’s always been about publicising other ‘interests’ (their club nights, give dab a bump up on numbers and same for internet streams).
Seems strange too that the base stream on one app was silent but still streaming except for a jingle at the top of the hour with base ident, not sure if base are still going on any other app as can’t be bothered checking )
I’d never heard of panacea (or halo) till it was rebroadcast (and I like a bit of soul, especially Richard sterling wasn’t he on Sunset Radio before it changed to Kiss/Galaxy/Capital, he must be as old as I am). I once bumped into Leaky-fresh at Galaxy102, had a quick chat about the pirate days.

The other reason they could be just hanging onto the frequency so that it doesn’t get used by someone else (as their were four station on that frequency at one point , base were the last to use it, and Carousel have enjoyed broadcasting in London three times since).
Sony ST 920 QS

shuffy
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by shuffy » Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:27 pm

That theory's got plenty going for it Lee. I understand the desire to keep hold of the frequency especially with the lack of availability around Manchester and all these other players potentially wanting to use it. Playing someone's legit stream does seem like bait though. Maybe that's a way of obfuscating culpability should anyone in particular get the knock - it wasn't me, your honour - it was just some herbert up there with a rig relaying random streams!

Halo, by the way, just sounds to me like a slightly less abrasive version of Capital. Brings me out in an effin' rash! Next!!

shuffy
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by shuffy » Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:34 pm

shuffy wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:27 pmNext!!
Boom. :lol:

Leroy-BaseFM
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by Leroy-BaseFM » Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:58 pm

shuffy wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:34 pm
shuffy wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:27 pmNext!!
Boom. :lol:
;) ;) ;) ;)

Guyofthenorth
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by Guyofthenorth » Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:05 pm

Base FM are planning something massive I think for the better watch this space BASE FM WILL ALWAYS DOMINATE MANCHESTER they will never die out #boom #bigbadbase

LeeCavanagh
tower block dreamin
tower block dreamin

Post by LeeCavanagh » Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:14 pm

Guyofthenorth wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:05 pm Base FM are planning something massive I think for the better watch this space BASE FM WILL ALWAYS DOMINATE MANCHESTER they will never die out #boom #bigbadbase
Never is a bit strong, but let's hope they have got lots of transmitters, its not a ride in the park staying on air 24/7 , signal seems a little better today, that snow must be helping.
Sony ST 920 QS

Guyofthenorth
who u callin ne guy bruv
who u callin ne guy bruv

Post by Guyofthenorth » Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:49 pm

LeeCavanagh wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:14 pm
Guyofthenorth wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:05 pm Base FM are planning something massive I think for the better watch this space BASE FM WILL ALWAYS DOMINATE MANCHESTER they will never die out #boom #bigbadbase
Never is a bit strong, but let's hope they have got lots of transmitters, its not a ride in the park staying on air 24/7 , signal seems a little better today, that snow must be helping.
Haha most definitely they got a few I mean how long base been on the FM now 2-3 years I'd say that's probably one of the longest 24/7 stations in Manchester I think the guys/girls do a fantastic job and are due a hell of a lot of respect some of the older generations should learn something from them but that's just my opinion
I'm sure there on again no rds but it's says base on the ids could this mean it's back if so pat on the back for the people behind basefm